Just received my Fiji Yellow Leather, what should I expect to see now?

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 24 hours this is it. Only some yellow in the middle and no polyps yet, but he’s awake at least.

C04A6452-3C52-44B2-A343-929C59F281F9.jpeg

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2882.JPG
Sorry to here about your yellow Fiji leather, I just received my ordered one from Live Aquaria last Tuesday and they are usually helpful when an order goes awry. You should get a replacement as soon as possible due to the wilting might cause the corals toxins to spread in your tank.
Here's a picture of mine.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get my yellow from them, it’s doing well but the small polyps haven’t come out yet. It stands up half the day and slightly getting more color. Are you thinking there may be something wrong with mine?

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first it seemed like its wilting at the stalk but it looks like it's going to recover. It should be good in a week

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow leather looks fine. From my experience with leathers as long as they are not drooping over they are fine They need time to adjust to the tank.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first it seemed like its wilting at the stalk but it looks like it's going to recover. It should be good in a week
We both received our yellow fiji from LA the same day, so probably came from the same batch. Yours looks awesome already. Can you tell me where in your tank you have it and how your parameters are? Mine is midway up with meidum flow on it. My only issue is a had to go through a cycle of prazipro medication in my DT around the same time this came in. I know prazipro is safe on coral, but probably aggravates it a little since skimmer turns of and other things that happen during prazipro.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We both received our yellow fiji from LA the same day, so probably came from the same batch. Yours looks awesome already. Can you tell me where in your tank you have it and how your parameters are? Mine is midway up with meidum flow on it. My only issue is a had to go through a cycle of prazipro medication in my DT around the same time this came in. I know prazipro is safe on coral, but probably aggravates it a little since skimmer turns of and other things that happen during prazipro.

You might be right must be in the same batch.
I also dipped mine in Bayer for 10 minutes. I dip every Corals I receive even mushrooms and nems.
I placed it on the lowest part of the tank close to the sand bed.
My params are:
Alk 8.3 Ca 450 Mg 1500
The big three are the only ones I test frequently the rest only when I notice if my SPS has no polyps extensions
I'm doing theAquaforest method also.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happen to be the only coral i didn’t dip, mainly taking the advice of the 3rd post in this thread. Also, i was originally sent a toadstool by accident and have that in bottom. I read the Fiji likes light. My light kit (Fluval led) doesnt punch down to the sandbed good (only about 30 par down there) but in the middle is probably get 100+ pAr. So trying it there. As of now its opened good just still no polyps. Here a pic a just took.

9B6A12C7-22F4-4CA2-99FB-0D8D71E84187.jpeg

0B304EE9-3FFB-463C-986A-7B35EA70A635.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've been having this one hermit crab containing to crawl on the Fiji leather and nest in certain spots. Is this a bad sign? The leather has been pretty healthy looking but when the crab crawls on it and I try to knock him off with a stick, he grabs on tight and that section of the leather turn white and flat for a while. There's no signs of the fiji shedding that I can tell, unless this is an early stage of it, just wondering what is attracting the crab to the leather.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant help with the hermit maybe it thinks it a good bed?
glad your came through I tried 2 from LA either made it, they came in looking pretty bad. might try another this summer??

keep us posted

Jlroc23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a dang nice looking leather, never been a fan of leathers or kept them before.. any special care requirements on those? I get good lighting and flow but Is carbon really needed to remove toxins and stuff?
I recieved a yellow fiji 5 days ago he is open and I see polyps but no yellow color. How before you started seeing yellow cor?

IMG_20190518_130657_80.jpg

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! I saw earlier in this thread about folks not dipping or drip acclimating their leathers. I dipped but did not drip acclimate mine. I ordered from Liveaquaria (about a week ago) and the two leathers (devils hand and a finger leather) and the mushroom all look fantastic. I noticed after the dip that there were some little worms wriggling around in the bucket about half way through the drip process. They were acting as if they were on fire!

After seeing that, I don't see how I could avoid a dip ever again. Have other folks stressed the corals with a dip? Maybe I got lucky? Mine look incredible and opened up within an hour or so after the dip.

As for the acclimation process, I just brought the water to the same temp and then removed the shipping water, dipped it for 15 minutes (using DT water) and then rinsed the coral in separate DT water and then put it into the tank.

astridaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recieved a yellow fiji 5 days ago he is open and I see polyps but no yellow color. How before you started seeing yellow cor?

IMG_20190518_130657_80.jpg

Where did you purchase your leather?
If it were a Fiji and starting to show polyps before the yellow colour shows, that is not a good sign. Perhaps you’ve been sent the wrong coral?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back