Just Received My Photon 50 V2+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the unit I received didn't have the gold color strip on either side of the fixture. All the pictures I 've seen on different websites has it. Mine is black. It also came in a cardboard box unlike the white with color circles it's usually package in. Does this mean I don't have the latest version of the fixture?

887D8A5E-2D66-4020-A66B-730FD56E51AF.jpeg
1598917392984.png

Last edited:

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the unit I received didn't have the gold color strip on either side of the fixture. All the pictures I 've seen on different websites has it. Mine is black. It also came in a cardboard box unlike the white with color circles it's usually package in. Does this mean I don't have the latest version of the fixture?

887D8A5E-2D66-4020-A66B-730FD56E51AF.jpeg
1598917392984.png
I recently ordered the same light and had the same issue with the box. I actually returned it and ordered another one and it came the same way. So I called Reef Breeders and they said that that cardboard box is the box its manufactured in! That cardboard box is designed for that fixture. I was surprised but they said it’s normal. The light is outstanding you will not be disappointed so many amazing features and beautiful.
FYI if you see that your remote is scratched, it’s not. There is a thin layer of protective film on the remote that you peel off so don’t be alarmed.

OP
OP
Rusticman

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered the same light and had the same issue with the box. I actually returned it and ordered another one and it came the same way. So I called Reef Breeders and they said that that cardboard box is the box its manufactured in! That cardboard box is designed for that fixture. I was surprised but they said it’s normal. The light is outstanding you will not be disappointed so many amazing features and beautiful.
FYI if you see that your remote is scratched, it’s not. There is a thin layer of protective film on the remote that you peel off so don’t be alarmed.
Thanks for the info. I purchased the mounting arm based on the gold accent strips on the light. I guess I will put the accent strips on the light myself.

1598962825461.png

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are wires that run along the inside perimeter lengthwise. I would paint it with gold leaf rather than drill & tap holes.

OP
OP
Rusticman

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are wires that run along the inside perimeter lengthwise. I would paint it with gold leaf rather than drill & tap holes.
I agree. I am going to use the screws on top of fixture to mount it to the arm.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I purchased the mounting arm based on the gold accent strips on the light. I guess I will put the accent strips on the light myself.

1598962825461.png

this is nice, where did you get this from?

OP
OP
Rusticman

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is nice, where did you get this from?
From Amazon. I wanted something clean looking and strong enough where I can just use 1 arm to mount the fixture. Here's the link. They have many finish options.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Amazon. I wanted something clean looking and strong enough where I can just use 1 arm to mount the fixture. Here's the link. They have many finish options.

Thanks, that is pricey.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! We recently updated the lights so that they all have a black stripe. The retail boxes are used until we run out, as throwing out perfectly good boxes is not great for the environment. The new boxes should be getting into the supply chain soon.

If you do want it to be a different color, Gold, Blue, or whatever you want- the stripe is removable. Simply unscrew the end plate, and slide it right out! That way you can paint it any color you choose without masking off the rest of the light, etc.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1598962825461.png
If you need longer screws for on top of your light, just let us know!

KorlL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. From all the LEDs I’ve tried, my favorite are the reefbreeders photon v2. Nice slim look. Easy to use controller. And only one power cord!

OP
OP
Rusticman

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. From all the LEDs I’ve tried, my favorite are the reefbreeders photon v2. Nice slim look. Easy to use controller. And only one power cord!
Yep, that's why I went with it instead of having multiple lights and mount arms to cover the length I need. If I need more lights then I will add the bars to either side of the fixture. To me, it's a cleaner look.

OP
OP
Rusticman

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Reef Breeders for providing the longer bolts.

Here’s my RB Photon mounted with Orphek OR3 120 Blue +. I tried to use only one bracket but since it didn’t fall directly in line with wall stud, I was force to use two. No sagging at all from these 1/4 stainless steel brackets. What do y’all think, clean or messy?

3B5DB574-7948-418A-BECB-0C786C3CC27B.jpeg 89BB19D1-4BC2-45EF-8A19-0A76B7FDA000.jpeg 068B2905-029C-4733-B4E3-0D44ED8F19C1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rusticman

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW. The Orphek bar is 3/4" inch longer than the Photon 50. Barely noticeable.

OP
OP
Rusticman

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up going with these mounting arms, don't make the mistake I made. So my tank is 30.5" deep plus 4.5" for the external overflow and plumbing giving you a total of 35". The RB Photon and Orphek together are 10.5" deep. I had to order another arm set because the first ones were 2"x20"x20" which didn't center the lights. The 2nd set order was 2"x24"x24" which will better center the lights from front to back. Picked the hammer white color to match the setup.

416157jm+EL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

mchans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting. Having such a hard time with finding a wall mounting option for these lights. Your solution has been the best I’ve seen.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back