Just received my Profilux4! Some comments and a question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super happy so far, but I have a lot of learning to do regarding programming and other controls with the system. I am awaiting a probe holder to be delivered for final placement, as well.

So far I'm really loving the system and trying to pace myself on accessories for the system (leak sensors, flow meters, do I want a KHD??, ATO level monitoring???)

One question though, I noticed my conductivity was continuously dropping since yesterday afternoon. Strange, but I'm learning a new system so no biggie. I just checked the probe and there were bubbles on the probe (I'm thinking from when the skimmer shuts off during feeding cycles). Swished the probe to remove the bubbles and readings went right back to expected values.

My question. Can I place a small powerhead in my sump pointed towards the sensors (when I have the holder in place) to eliminate bubbles getting trapped in the probe? Would that affect the readings at all?

1650380391895.png

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small powerhead in my sump where the conductivity probe is located, and haven't noticed any issues with the readings.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the GHL club!

The ideal placement for the probes is in an area that has minimal to no microbubbles. This is usually in the return pump compartment. If you're finding that bubbles are latching onto the probe tip, a very small pump aimed at the probe will help keep the probe free from bubbles.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question. Can I place a small powerhead in my sump pointed towards the sensors (when I have the holder in place) to eliminate bubbles getting trapped in the probe? Would that affect the readings at all?
Yes you can - I have all my return from the siphon tube hit my Conductivity probe from 5 cm. Its around 1500 L/hour coming from a 25 mm pipe. The probe i situated in that way that this stream goes between the plates. My salinity the last days - I´m slowly raising it The stream from my siphon pipe is totally free from bubbles and since I started with this (many years ago - my readings is stable.

1650384672207.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small powerhead in my sump where the conductivity probe is located, and haven't noticed any issues with the readings.
What size/type of powerhead are you using?

Welcome to the GHL club!

The ideal placement for the probes is in an area that has minimal to no microbubbles. This is usually in the return pump compartment. If you're finding that bubbles are latching onto the probe tip, a very small pump aimed at the probe will help keep the probe free from bubbles.
I dose and my ATO is in this section so I wasn't sure it would be best to put the probes in here. I suppose I could move the dosing lines and ATO closer to the return pump though to not affect the readings. I will experiment with this a bit in the next few days.

Yes you can - I have all my return from the siphon tube hit my Conductivity probe from 5 cm. Its around 1500 L/hour coming from a 25 mm pipe. The probe i situated in that way that this stream goes between the plates. My salinity the last days - I´m slowly raising it The stream from my siphon pipe is totally free from bubbles and since I started with this (many years ago - my readings is stable.

1650384672207.png

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you Lasse! Great to see the consistent data and know you have flow directed at your probe. Sending flow through the prongs of the probe was exactly my thought as well!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back