furcifer208

furcifer208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bienvenue
I just got some squirts and sponges for my sump. Good fun
This is an old picture of Botryllus schlosseri.
IMG_20160804_133923805.jpg

OP
OP
furcifer208

furcifer208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, today I received 165W SBreef SBOX 16 Basic, mounted it at 10' and tested my water.
Results are as follows:
pH 8.2
NH3 0ppm
N02 0ppm
NO3 10ppm
PO3 0.5ppm (probably from two gallons of tap water I had to use to fix high salinity due to evaporation, will be RODI from now on)

The tank has been cycled for a week now. My cheap gravity ATO seems to be working great. We've been feeding the two oscillaris clowns generously(twice a day). Just starting to see some brown algae. Been using a 7.5 watt Current USA freshwater LED light. Can I pick up some coral tomorrow or should I wait? What about more fish? Open to any and all suggestions.

IMG_20180713_162630444_LL.jpg

IMG_20180713_173320181 (1).jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait, your tank is not cycled enough yet for corals. I would hate to see you throw away money too soon. And I am not so sure your light is enough for corals. Maybe softies or low light LPS.

Edit: I just saw you updated your light, skip my light comment :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I have the 16” WiFi which I believe is the same LED layout. Your parameters look pretty good. I would probably mature a little longer. I would suggest using the new light sparingly / very low while continuing to mature or before adding corals.

OP
OP
furcifer208

furcifer208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait, your tank is not cycled enough yet for corals. I would hate to see you throw away money too soon. And I am not so sure your light is enough for corals. Maybe softies or low light LPS.

Here is the cycle data from a week ago. The SBOX light is 165 W. I've been afraid to turn it up from it's lowest setting and the manufacturer said to use only 15% white and 30% blue 14-16 inches above the tank.

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/1-sbox-basic.html

upload_2018-7-5_23-7-3.png

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had edited my post because I completely missed where you said you upgraded before you posted the stats of the light.

You should be fine and if you do decide to go with GSP, make sure to put it on it's on island in the sand. It can and will spread and could overtake your rock. Snails and/or a crab would be ok too. I'd wait a few weeks before adding another fish just to let the bacteria develop further.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. That is a fast cycle even if complete (enhanced of course). I would wait a little longer. Nothing lost but time and it makes success more likely.

I get it though, my tank has sat cycled for about 10 days now and I really want to go. Still waiting and running no lights.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lights = no fun.

LOL. Yeah. I may start running mine for some “fun.” I found some hitchhiker corals and there is lots of coralline on my live rock. I probably should start running them this weekend.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!!. I just recently set up a Nuvo 20 as well. I highly suggest a no go for the green star. I've read through some builds where the GSP took over the whole tank. I started out with a Galaxea and is growing on its square. Then again, different stroke for different folks. This is your build and build it the way you like it. Again welcome and I hope you enjoy reefing like I am right now.
P.S. One thing I regret is that I went coral crazy way too early. Granted they are alive. I highly advise to take it slowly and get your parameters squared away first.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back