Just sharing!

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on r2r for some time, but realized I've never shared my seahorses with you all! So, in addition to my reef, I also have a 29g seahorse/macro tank, and 10g fry macro tank. I'm in the process of setting up a 55 that is going to be amazing!
I currently breed erectus, but hope to keep other types soon.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Seahorsekelly69

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep fry in a sterile set up for the first few weeks, until they are trained on frozen. Then, they move to my smaller macro grow out tank

image.jpeg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy wowzers, if that's a word. What beautiful systems you have and great pictures to prove it. Congrats.

OP
OP
Seahorsekelly69

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get them to frozen in a few weeks?
I meant 3-6 weeks. I suppose that's more than a few. Lol. Couple tricks I've learned:
1. Start putting a piece of mysis in their tank from day 1 while feeding. Remove it after a few min. That helps them associate the smell of mysis with food.
2. Around week 3, I start putting small pieces of mysis in when I give them live brine. The bubbler keeps it moving, and a lot will accidentally eat it, like it, and be good.
3. soaking mysis in garlic entices them to eat
4. The few stubborn horses who refused mysis after week 6, are cut off brine. Typically if there's ONLY mysis, and the others are eating it, they'll come around. But I never let them go entire day without food. I'd give them live by the end of the day if they just wouldn't eat. I've had very few that simply wouldn't train. And they weren't healthy to begin with. But, my male baby was a stubborn one, and I had to play the cutoff game for a good week before he finally would eat mysis.

FishRForMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant 3-6 weeks. I suppose that's more than a few. Lol. Couple tricks I've learned:
1. Start putting a piece of mysis in their tank from day 1 while feeding. Remove it after a few min. That helps them associate the smell of mysis with food.
2. Around week 3, I start putting small pieces of mysis in when I give them live brine. The bubbler keeps it moving, and a lot will accidentally eat it, like it, and be good.
3. soaking mysis in garlic entices them to eat
4. The few stubborn horses who refused mysis after week 6, are cut off brine. Typically if there's ONLY mysis, and the others are eating it, they'll come around. But I never let them go entire day without food. I'd give them live by the end of the day if they just wouldn't eat. I've had very few that simply wouldn't train. And they weren't healthy to begin with. But, my male baby was a stubborn one, and I had to play the cutoff game for a good week before he finally would eat mysis.

thanks... I'll try that!

KrazieKiKi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on r2r for some time, but realized I've never shared my seahorses with you all! So, in addition to my reef, I also have a 29g seahorse/macro tank, and 10g fry macro tank. I'm in the process of setting up a 55 that is going to be amazing!
I currently breed erectus, but hope to keep other types soon.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Do you dose your tank for your macros? I'm starting to incorporate more macros into my tank and I want to make sure there's plenty of nutrients aside from what the ponies put off. Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back