Just started Kalkwasser... Alk 11.4

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the title says I recently started dosing Kalkwasser in my ato. 2tsp per 5 gallons. I go through about 5 gallons a week, In a 50 gallon aio peninsula waterbox mixed Reef. I'm concerned that the level may be too high? I started dosing because my ph was hovering around 7.8 and my alkalinity around 6 to 7. Started off with one tsp per 5 gallons 2 weeks ago. My ph is still only barely 8, but the alk shot way up. Any suggestions?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st step is to measure Alk consumption and calculate your daily consumption.

Using an ATO for dosing Kalkwasser is tough to dial in as your evaporation rate changes day to day.
I should also mention that this approach is also prone to accidental overdosing. Especially if your tank has low alk consumption.

I would suggest using a kalk reactor or good old IV drip.

With a continuous drip you will get a much more stable pH boost.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the ATO is and inaccurate (depends on evaporation) and can be dangerous (forum and my personal experience) way to go

Kamoer pumps are easy, inexpensive and a great way to get started in dosing - AND agree, chasing pH with Kalkwasser is wrong, an increase in pH should be a beneficial side effect of a well dialed in alk target

Good luck

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agree with the above……No way to dial In Ato and you will have Alk swings. Something simple as having friends over will add more Co2 which lowers your ph which lowers demand for alk.

Use a Kalk reactor fed from a dosing pump to do the heavy lifting with added benefits.

Whenever kalk can’t keep up with demands, supplement with two part. ”Always” have control with whatever you are dosing. Kalk in your Ato gives you no control and coral are expensive.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something simple as having friends over will add more Co2 which lowers your ph which lowers demand for alk.

While I also believe a dosing pump is preferred to an ATO (despite my only using an ATO for 20 years), that issue above about CO2 relates equally well to all delivery methods of all alk additives.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
While I also believe a dosing pump is preferred to an ATO (despite my only using an ATO for 20 years), that issue above about CO2 relates equally well to all delivery methods of all alk additives.
The difference for me, is that I can control it by turning it on and off if co2 drops so it doesn’t cause a alk swing. I.e. I have a apex variable for high ph that turns it off. Also have a Alkatronic that feeds info to apex that turns if off when alk exceeds a value. Much better protection that dosing alk in my Ato. You can turn a Ato off, but at some,point you have to replenish evaporation and kalk comes with it.

OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing 2 part or anything else with the kalk?
Not since I started the kalk. Before I was dosing marine buffer by Seachem 1-2 times a week. The only other thing that I dose is Seachem Iodide monthly, Reef Complete & Reef trace every 2-3 days interchangeably.
Oh, and AB+ every other night.

OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above……No way to dial In Ato and you will have Alk swings. Something simple as having friends over will add more Co2 which lowers your ph which lowers demand for alk.

Use a Kalk reactor fed from a dosing pump to do the heavy lifting with added benefits.

Whenever kalk can’t keep up with demands, supplement with two part. ”Always” have control with whatever you are dosing. Kalk in your Ato gives you no control and coral are expensive.
Trust me...I know coral is $$$! I have quite a bit of money invested. (pssst, don't tell my DH) Appreciate your input!

OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the ATO is and inaccurate (depends on evaporation) and can be dangerous (forum and my personal experience) way to go

Kamoer pumps are easy, inexpensive and a great way to get started in dosing - AND agree, chasing pH with Kalkwasser is wrong, an increase in pH should be a beneficial side effect of a well dialed in alk target

Good luck

Good luck
Thanks! I'll look into the Kamoer.
Your insight about the pH makes perfect sense. I'll keep plugging away at getting it dialed in. Appreciate ya!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the title says I recently started dosing Kalkwasser in my ato. 2tsp per 5 gallons. I go through about 5 gallons a week, In a 50 gallon aio peninsula waterbox mixed Reef. I'm concerned that the level may be too high? I started dosing because my ph was hovering around 7.8 and my alkalinity around 6 to 7. Started off with one tsp per 5 gallons 2 weeks ago. My ph is still only barely 8, but the alk shot way up. Any suggestions?
Did we miss something?
Are you dosing cuz you want to raise ph? Or is it for the alk and ph?
You can raise ph by other means and not dose anything. Fresh air to skimmer, surface agitation are some examples.

OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did we miss something?
Are you dosing cuz you want to raise ph? Or is it for the alk and ph?
You can raise ph by other means and not dose anything. Fresh air to skimmer, surface agitation are some examples.
As I said my PH was around 7.8 and alkalinity 6-7. I would like for my PH to be around 8.2 and my alkalinity to be around a 9.
I do not have a skimmer and I have plenty of surface agitation.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back