Just starting and want to deep clean second hand tank

ziggyjane07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - just picked up a Red Sea reefer 525xl and starting to get some of the gear to kick it over. So I really have no idea besides to videos I watch, but I want to give the big tank a really deep clean all over because it was full of aiptasia? (I think it’s called) and it was everywhere.
so just wondering what people would do and how? and also what would you use to clean?
Anyways sorry for the silly question I thought I would start here until I get everything else to start the set up? Thanks so much

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I purchased a used RSR425XL and needed to clean also. Recommend vinegar as a cleaning solution. Let me know if you have water ring at the top of the aquarium - will tell you have to deal with that!

50BB9F03-81B4-492A-8A59-3CFCC03A1EE8.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

ziggyjane07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I purchased a used RSR425XL and needed to clean also. Recommend vinegar as a cleaning solution. Let me know if you have water ring at the top of the aquarium - will tell you have to deal with that!

50BB9F03-81B4-492A-8A59-3CFCC03A1EE8.gif
Hi, thanks yeh it does have that ring that I can’t seem to get off!

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks yeh it does have that ring that I can’t seem to get off!
Yes - those rings don’t come off! I tried multiple methods and cleaners and plenty of elbow grease. Nothing got it off! The ring is somehow etched into the glass.

Solution - just leave it. Found when the tank is filled with water, you won’t notice it. Here is a pic of my waterline with the tank filled. Can’t see the ring anymore.

979649EA-96B3-4885-B4D4-D335060A577F.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

ziggyjane07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - those rings don’t come off! I tried multiple methods and cleaners and plenty of elbow grease. Nothing got it off! The ring is somehow etched into the glass.

Solution - just leave it. Found when the tank is filled with water, you won’t notice it. Here is a pic of my waterline with the tank filled. Can’t see the ring anymore.

979649EA-96B3-4885-B4D4-D335060A577F.jpeg
Thanks PeterC99 Disappointing to know It’s etched, but great you don’t notice it!

Upvote 0

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - just picked up a Red Sea reefer 525xl and starting to get some of the gear to kick it over. So I really have no idea besides to videos I watch, but I want to give the big tank a really deep clean all over because it was full of aiptasia? (I think it’s called) and it was everywhere.
so just wondering what people would do and how? and also what would you use to clean?
Anyways sorry for the silly question I thought I would start here until I get everything else to start the set up? Thanks so much
Hiya! Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've used Muriatic Acid in the past, works really well. Just let it soak for like 24 hours and then drain it and rinse it with a hose, almost everything comes out!

Upvote 0

nspransy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take extra care when cleaning. That take has low iron glass and scratches easier than standard glass.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back