Just Starting Out...

lbdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up my tank. 20 gallons, live rock, live sand, fluorescent lights, filter, heater, and 2 clown fish and one small polyp coral. Everything seems to be going ok, except one of the clown fish seems to be having some issues. It just stays at the bottom of the tank, barely moves and does not really eat. Im wondering if its the fish or the tank, but the other clown and coral seem to be doing really well. I'll be taking a water sample in today, but just looking for ideas.
Thank you

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set it up Friday night with clowns and rocks. Added sand on Saturday
That might be what is stressing the Clowns. Unless you set up the tank using cured, established live rock, your tank still needs to cycle. It sounds like you moved a little too fast unfortunately. You are probably showing elevated levels of ammonia which isn't good for the fish or coral. Either way, a good starting point would be to test the water for all of the basics (Ammonia, Nitrites, PH, salinity). With that information, we can give you suggestions as to your next steps.

OP
OP
lbdan

lbdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you. I'll get the test results and post them as soon as I can. The lady at the store said the rocks were cured and established, in fact she made sure to give me those rather than ones that would not be ready yet.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, what was the water source? did you mix it yourself or buy pre made saltwater?

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Like @Waters said, just get back to us once you have the water parameters, we'll get you some more help :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back