What would you do after Ich breakout - Start over or maintain

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time - QTed fish, treated with hypo, went great, zero losses.
Second time - QTed fish, treated with hypo, lost 95%.

The difference the second time was I took the fish out of the tank and stuck them in a hospital tank and ran hypo. Ich went away quickly. Stress or just poor management of the salinity in the small tank killed them.

The first time I took the rock and coral out of the tank and put the display in hypo with a bunch of new store bought 'wet rock'.

It rules out a lot of chemical treatments but - far less stress on the fish to remove the inverts to a holding tank than it is to remove the fish.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can order the white worms online and grow them in a small fridge. I’m pretty sure how we grew black worms and tubifix back in the day. Hard to beat live food but does matter what you feed that live food.

Lots of pellets and frozen good but he does it to transfer the got contents to the fish. He goes into it in more detail. Not sure exactly all going on other than feeding live worms and fresh clams makes sense. Something I’m planning to include along with fish, shrimps and crabs from my fishing trips.
I cultivate Grindal worms in the cabinet of one of my tanks. They're the "hardier" version of white worms that do well at room temperature.

I think it's also important to note that introduction of marine wildlife into your tanks can be a vector for disease to infect your fish -- causing the very thing that we're trying to prevent by enriching our constructed biomes. Many people stay away from buying frozen silversides to feed their carnivores for this reason. I have no comment or experience on the alternate theory of enriching your biome by putting garden soil in your tank.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cultivate Grindal worms in the cabinet of one of my tanks. They're the "hardier" version of white worms that do well at room temperature.

I think it's also important to note that introduction of marine wildlife into your tanks can be a vector for disease to infect your fish -- causing the very thing that we're trying to prevent by enriching our constructed biomes. Many people stay away from buying frozen silversides to feed their carnivores for this reason. I have no comment or experience on the alternate theory of enriching your biome by putting garden soil in your tank.
Not a biologist but seems to work for Paul and pretty sure most non-saltwater pathogens tend to not cause issues with saltwater. Why often best grab a few FW mollies then convert them and why we often use FW baths to solve many ailments with SW fish. Not saying it's perfect but I'm less worried about contracting something from that kept on soil or FW plus big believer in natural immunity from low exposure of most pathogens. Not talking all but most.

DexterKarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice reading this thread and its tone. I'm not certain what I will do at the moment. I'm hoping by week's end to get a little tank to act as a hospital. I have a nano tank, 13.5 gallon, as my first effort into saltwater. Used Dr. Tims and had 0 ammonia and nitrite at end of December. I know these nanos are challenging to maintain stability. I knew that, but I wasn't ready for a disease outbreak so soon. My first two fish after cycling were two beautiful snowflake clowns. I also have a CUC and 3 easy corals. Three good weeks and then the dreaded spots. Mine looks more to be velvet on the black snowflake. At this time the orange looks clear but he is acting a bit strange at times. I did do the peroxide dip and tank dosing but am sort of resigned to the fact that this is such a new tank that I will likely lose the fish, though at the moment they eat and act normal. I upped feeding and got real mussels and vitamin and selcon to increase the fish nutrition. She, the black one, still has spots and raised bumps though.

I like the idea of Ick management but I think with the new tank that may not work as well as a richly diverse mature system.

If I lose the fish I will go fishless for a good 3 months and focus on invertebrates and corals for a time.

Best to you all.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice reading this thread and its tone. I'm not certain what I will do at the moment. I'm hoping by week's end to get a little tank to act as a hospital. I have a nano tank, 13.5 gallon, as my first effort into saltwater. Used Dr. Tims and had 0 ammonia and nitrite at end of December. I know these nanos are challenging to maintain stability. I knew that, but I wasn't ready for a disease outbreak so soon. My first two fish after cycling were two beautiful snowflake clowns. I also have a CUC and 3 easy corals. Three good weeks and then the dreaded spots. Mine looks more to be velvet on the black snowflake. At this time the orange looks clear but he is acting a bit strange at times. I did do the peroxide dip and tank dosing but am sort of resigned to the fact that this is such a new tank that I will likely lose the fish, though at the moment they eat and act normal. I upped feeding and got real mussels and vitamin and selcon to increase the fish nutrition. She, the black one, still has spots and raised bumps though.

I like the idea of Ick management but I think with the new tank that may not work as well as a richly diverse mature system.

If I lose the fish I will go fishless for a good 3 months and focus on invertebrates and corals for a time.

Best to you all.
No need to lose the fish -- put them into treatment!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back