Just survived a 6.5 hour outage!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just survived a 6.5 hour power outage! Was at work at 10:18 when my wife let me know that the power company alerted her to the outage (she was also at work). I knew I had about 2.5 hours on the UPS and a little after 12 got with my boss and he let me go home to get the generator going. When I got home the DT was down as the UPS had run out of juice.

I was real concerned for my Harlequin Tusk because he is in QT (irony is today was moving day to the DT) and doesn’t have any battery backup. I’m thinking I’ll wait until this weekend to move him so he can relax a few more days.

So I got home and the first course of action was run my extension cord from my truck’s 110v plug to the air pump on the QT. Then went to unbox and prep the generator for duty. Got it going and got both the DT and QT vitals running on generator power and shut the truck off.
F7BD8EDA-0086-49CC-BD09-54A9F5A79333.jpeg

68BEC33E-E44F-4AB2-B178-6BF5392B5950.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Had a instant intervention plan and a back-up plan. Nice work!!
It’s all stuff I picked up from the fine people on R2R. The horror stories start weighing on you more as you get stocked up and have more invested. I would hate to kill my livestock just because I wasn’t thinking of the possibilities. I was sure hoping to always leave the generator brand new in the box but it just paid for itself.

After putting everything away I added the generator to my Aquarimate app and set up a 90 day preventative maintenance schedule to run it for 15-20 minutes to keep it ready for the next episode.

If this thread can show other members how simple it can be to save your tank then it’s done it’s job. A little expense in being prepared will save you money and your pets lives!

UPS-$145.00 on eBay
900 watt generator $100 Harbor Freight
A couple extension cords and a power strip

Maybe someday I’ll go all in a whole home generator that auto switches and tests itself monthly. That would be ideal!

Planning for a fish tank emergency is similar to prepping for a zombie apocalypse!

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wife will renew her vows to you for a whole house generator. Mine is propane. No joke though, when it has a draw on it, its loud. Congrats on saving your tanks and livestock. That was a victory. Yeah man.
She would like the generator for sure. She does indoor hydroponics and has many machines with lights and pumps growing lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, and herbs (I’m talking basil and cilantro here). She doesn’t have any type of backup but all her stuff was fine. We were starting to work out how to run hers for a few minutes each when the power came back on.

We are planning on constructing a building in our backyard. Half for her hobby and half for mine. A home generator would be next on the list.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a 9 hr outage and generator worked until out of gas then my battery backups kept the flow going. Everything was happy after power went back on

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it!

I had a 48hr outage last year in 20 degree weather. had to run propane space heaters and battery powered bubble makers. Everything made it out okay!

I bought a whole house generator after that. Used it during the last outage and it was amazing!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back