Just the Tip! 36x24x12 45g Minimalist Reef

Tyler001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a rather large toadstool you got.. Is that an isolating water diffuser u got there

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post updates here for sure. He is deciding if he is going to do a separate build thread or not.
Really to bad you guys didnt do this thread together. I thought that is where it was heading and it would have been a one of a kind build thread. I don't think I've ever seen a double build using the same size tanks, and side by side. I'm sure there are some out there, but probably done by the same person. It would have been nice to see the progression at the same time all in one place. Very nice tank though.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank set up! Love the rock layout. Great job on the coral selections. I'm with you...I know GSP can overtake areas of your tank, but it just a beautiful sweep of flowing green. I have a Red Sea Max 500 ordered to replace an aging FOWLER tank. Look for ideas on rock design, and coral selections to keep. Sad when my office reef nano tank looks better than my home tank LOL. Keep up the great work!!! You got some happy corals and fish in there.

redsoxbill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to compliment you on your reef system, your landscaping is incredible. you have alot, but it doesn't seem to be overcrowed. Expsecially like the way you showed it since inception to where it is today. Great Job!

alexwong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment!
This is the best looking tank i ever see....!! Bigger doesn't mean better, and this tank show it all!! Great tank!!

Btw, I love those SunFlower Coral, and what food do you feed them? shrimp cube? Are they hard to keep?

OP
OP
ProfessorX

ProfessorX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 new fish today! Im up to 16 fish in the 45g, thank God for big skimmers, Algae Turf Scrubbers, Chaeto, and Mangroves! New additions today were a pair of target mandarins (not really a pair, I just saw two that looked lonely and tried to play matchmaker, we will see if they actually pair up), a melanarus wrasse, and a very small leopard wrasse that I haven't seen since it was put in the tank. Surprisingly, no one seems to be getting beat up (unless thats why I haven't found the leopard wrasse yet), and the melanarus wrasse and one of the mandarins are already picking. I got them all in hopes of eradicating my new enemies, zoanthid eating and montipora eating nudis. I already had a leopard and a yellow tail damsel to try to keep the infestation from happening, but they are lazy and wait for me to feed frozen food.

Anyway, we will see how they fit in with everyone else in the next couple days

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread and tank @ProfessorX!!! Your tank is what inspired me a few years months back to start getting SPS! I have a 55g and never thought I would be able too since my tank is so small but after seeing yours I said lets go for it. I finally upgraded my Skimmer + (Lights on the way 6x54w). And just had a question, You said you feed your tanks 5 cubes a day! If you still do what are you feeding them? I'm trying to bump up feeding because of my 3x bigger Protien skimmer and was wondering what would be best. Thanks!!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, yeah would love some updated photos on your reef and seahorse tank, here on the east coast and getting snow, good reason to hang out and check out R2R :D

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update still one of my favorite tanks of all time! My favorite coral is missing! Where's the green and blue mystery coral that was front middle?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just seeing this one for the first time. I really like this reef! You have created a natural looking environment with very colorful corals, yet it doesn't look like a jewelry display case with a collection of high end corals sitting on the sandbed. I like the way they are incorporated into a natural looking aquascape. I love gorgonia and GSP also, despite being in the hobby for 30 years. I like movement in the tank and you have plenty. I will be following along.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back