• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Just unboxed new DOS...Tubing is a Kinked Mess

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started to unbox my new DOS and saw that the tubing was REALLY kinked and compressed in multiple places. Super disappointed as I made a special trip (45 minute drive each way) to buy this from a LFS vs online. At any rate, looks like I won’t be setting anything up until I manage to find appropriate replacement tubing.

Yes, I could run it under hot water or use a hair dryer to straighten it out as others have mentioned having to do with the Neptune tubing. But as consistent, uniform measurable flow is pretty much the foundation of this product, I’m not willing to risk it.

Given the price of this unit, I would expect Neptune to address and correct the packaging issue in its product.
8CF82234-9023-435D-84CC-C6127B37B920.jpeg
4CDE0EA6-952D-40A8-871A-00ED79D2F59E.jpeg

DD06BD1B-1325-46CD-9052-2C821F57252B.jpeg

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measurable flow is measured by calibration. So when you first run it, you calibrate it. If there are still kinks after you stretch the hose between the source and where it is going, and you calibrate it, it calibrates based on the flow that goes through the hose (kinks and all). I don't think it will be a real issue for you.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the tubing from the box since day 1 (almost 2 years now) with no problems. Not sure how that constitutes 'junk'?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have issues while others do not. The tubing they supply is susceptible to air leaks over time as it's not a very rigid type of tubing. Like I said though, some do have trouble with it and others do not. Myself, I just bought several feet of tubing from @Bulk Reef Supply and used it when I installed my DOS. You can try and soak it in very hot water, that will usually allow it to go back to it's normal state.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the tubing from the box since day 1 (almost 2 years now) with no problems. Not sure how that constitutes 'junk'?
Compared to flexible silicone tubing it is. Not saying you can't use it but there are better options out there.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all products, you get what they have decided will work for the masses. The tubing will work. Is it medical grade? No. As stated above get some good silicon tubing. Sure it will cost you some $$. Very rare is the case where a manufacture will supply a quality product that is greater than what is needed for the application. Remember your not getting a Masterflex.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I do have some air bubbles in my tubing. I used to be concerned about that, but every time I calibrate, it is still 40ml (even with air in the tubing). So I'll give that it isn't perfect. but hasn't caused need for me to switch. :)

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue was really not so much with the quality of the tubing, rather in the way it was packaged. It was wrapped into such a tight bundle that the tubing was bent closed at the end of each kink. (It does look nice and tidy though )
4385F725-6881-4740-9CED-D753180EA3A5.jpeg

Yes, I can soak it in hot water and hope it opens back up and doesn’t keep pinching shut in the future (like once you get a bad kink in a garden hose, it keeps kinking in the same spot.). But I shouldn’t have to. With just one additional twist tie, the tubing could have been packaged in a larger, looser circle and this wouldn’t have been an issue at all.
F229953B-4B29-4BB6-B8CD-FC2D57F4DA03.jpeg

(That’s as close as I could get it to round after unraveling the kinks, but you get the point.)

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an issue with my DOS pulling Red Sea ALK from the DDR, so I have manually stuck the tubing they give you directly into the DDR to get it to work. Not sure how to fix it.

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I knew I’d need more tubing than would be in the DOS box, and the Neptune’s replacement tubing got such bad reviews, I’d already ordered additional third party tubing. Just didn’t think I’d have to use it INSTEAD of the Neptune tubing.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back