Justin's 80 gallon rimless reef build

Jcagle09

BEE HAPPY!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so to start it off, I started reefing a couple months ago. I started with a budget 10 gallon build. I found out I was addicted very early on lol. So I immediately started looking for another tank. And then I found it. It's a custom built rimless tank, with an internal overflow. It came with a stand and a small sump.
20191221_113751.jpg
20191221_183654.jpg

OP
OP
Jcagle09

Jcagle09

BEE HAPPY!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I started working on the stand. I like to reuse things when I can so I added some support and went to work on making the outside nice. I have 100+ year old tongue and grooved heart pine lumber from a house I tore down. I will put this on the outside. I had to plain it down first.
20191224_104803.jpg

OP
OP
Jcagle09

Jcagle09

BEE HAPPY!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job refinishing everything. Love the pine skin you went with. What's your stocking plans for fish and corals?

Thank you. As far as stocking plans, I know I want a bubble tip anemone. It will probably more of an LPS tank with some SPS later down the road. I may move the clownfish pair over from the 10 gallon as well. Other than that I dont have any particular fish picked out.

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. As far as stocking plans, I know I want a bubble tip anemone. It will probably more of an LPS tank with some SPS later down the road. I may move the clownfish pair over from the 10 gallon as well. Other than that I dont have any particular fish picked out.
Its awesome to have a pair host. I've done it twice in the past. First time was great, nem never moved once. Second time was a hole other story. Every other month it would move and kill something. Became a problem when corals were encrusted on the rock and I could save them. I've been slowly getting things for my own nano to house a nem. One will never go back into my main display.
Good luck with both tanks. The nano is looking good. I'll be following

OP
OP
Jcagle09

Jcagle09

BEE HAPPY!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its awesome to have a pair host. I've done it twice in the past. First time was great, nem never moved once. Second time was a hole other story. Every other month it would move and kill something. Became a problem when corals were encrusted on the rock and I could save them. I've been slowly getting things for my own nano to house a nem. One will never go back into my main display.
Good luck with both tanks. The nano is looking good. I'll be following
Yeah that's the only problem I for see. I was thinking if I stick the nem in there first maybe it will find its happy place. Then I can always add other corals later. But if it moves i can always put it in the 10 gallon and move all the corals in there to the 80 lol. Fingers crossed.

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's the only problem I for see. I was thinking if I stick the nem in there first maybe it will find its happy place. Then I can always add other corals later. But if it moves i can always put it in the 10 gallon and move all the corals in there to the 80 lol. Fingers crossed.
I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to force the idea on you, lol.

Back