Justin's 82G - clownfish harem journal

Fudge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do love the tank though super sweet I have been thinking about changing my 120 reef to a clown fish tank.

chef_pinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I have been thinking about ideas of what I want my come back into the hobby tank to be, definitely stealing your idea! Hope you don't mind :). What are you running for lights and filtration?

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I have been thinking about ideas of what I want my come back into the hobby tank to be, definitely stealing your idea! Hope you don't mind :). What are you running for lights and filtration?

Lights I am using 2x Full Spectrum 165W chinese LED, specifically from topledseller on Ebay, they make awesome LED lights at only $89.25 per 165W unit. I honestly would recommend this light to anyone, it would grow anything perfectly fine.

My filtration is simple, I have a 40B sump/refugium, the middle chamber is filled with chaeto and a Reef Octopus Skimmer NWB150 rated for 150 gallons. I don't run carbon or GFO currently. I don't believe in allelopathy with Anemones, I personally think people have introduced a sick anemone of the same species that has infected the other anemones around it of the same species. I could be wrong as this is all theory by Minh and myself, but so far I have had zero issues so I will continue to monitor the interaction between all species and see if anything changes that could be explained by allelopathy.

When I get around to it this weekend i'll take an updated photo of my sump setup, it's nothing special. :)

Last edited:

chef_pinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, looking forward to the pictures. Love this idea as I've never kept them in the past. New challenge.

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Friday I hooked up my new carbon reactor from Blue Life USA the Carb FX Resinator at 7pm. Around 11 to 11:30pm I noticed things in my tank looking bad, my flame angelfish was swimming upside down and the anemones all looked real bad so I unplugged the unit thinking stray voltage from the MJ1200 pump as I did not know what was going on and and couldn't test for stray voltage til the next morning before leaving. I did my daily water change on my treatment tank I had a H. Magnifica in and went to sleep. I woke up Saturday expecting to be leaving for out of town and all of my SPS were completely RTN'd, all the nems looked horrible, even in the treatment tank I had my new H. Magnifica in looked bad. I saw pieces of both my S. Haddoni disintegrating from the tentacle area which I find abnormal since I have never seen that type of reaction in an anemone. The Flame Angelfish was dead as well.

I immediately freaked out, shut everything down and contacted my LFS owner about seeing if I could use some space at his shop as my tank was literally crashing in front of my eyes. He said he would take it in and I rushed it all over there, within the first few minutes of it hitting his water they all re-inflated and looked great to my surprise minus the S. Gigantea which still looked pancaked but immediately stuck to the glass but was starting to inflate before I left. I've talked to everyone I know and we all agree it had to be a chemical in the plastic in my specific carbon reactor or carbon media that caused this crash as we cannot think of anything else that would explain it. I immediately did a 40G water change as soon as I could, I rinsed the carbon reactor with RODI water after tossing out all of the carbon media and then put in a 3:1 RODI:Vinegar bath to eliminate any sort of chemical residue that was in it for 2 hours, then I let it soak in RODI water for another 2 hours.

The following day, Sunday, I did another 20G water change on my system. I went to my LFS today to check on things, my Tomini Bristletooth Tang died as well but all of my anemones were fully inflated and looking great. My system is now going through a cycle which I am going to try and counteract with Seachem Prime & Seachem Stability so I can get my anemones and fish back as soon as possible as I don't want to take up a lot of space at my LFS for a long time.

I spoke with a representative today from Blue Life USA and he basically told me it had to be on my end, they test all of their units and sell them in batches so if there was a problem he would of had more complaints then just me. He offered to refill my carbon media even though he said he really doesn't feel like he should have to, in which I declined as I know for a fact it wasn't on my side so I wasn't going to put any more of their carbon in my system as I don't know what caused the crash to begin with, the carbon or the unit itself.

In the meantime of waiting on my tank to get stable enough to re-introduce my anemones I did a new aquascape that will mainly be SPS & Anemone dominated. From here on out, I will be taking precautions with any piece of equipment I don't know is safe before placing in my aquarium, lesson learned.

4MgbQFx.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Ariel from Blue Life USA called me today, they did testing on their units yesterday and found out they sent me untreated carbon which caused my pH levels to spike rapidly out of control. I never caught this when the crash happened due to the fact the night it happened I didn't think that could even be a thing from plugging up a carbon reactor. The next day I was too busy rushing my remaining livestock to my LFS to save what was left and then when I got home I did a huge water change on my system thinking it was some kind of chemical residue or something.

Well, Ariel from Blue Life USA said she is going to LA in a couple/few weeks and she will be hand picking me all new corals from a list I send her at one or two wholesalers. My tank is still going through a cycle right now but hopefully it will be ready by then. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. You had an awesome tank, and I'm glad they are making things right. I hope you get some gems. Not too many of us do a new tank as our main display.

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has everything still alive back in it minus 3 anemones going through treatment. I also have a tiny diatom bloom going on, but besides that everything seems fine.

PinkLTA_zpsf7377018.png

BlueHaddoni_zpsf62672c7.png

Here are the 3 going through treatment, hopefully they make it...

treatmenttank_zpsffeb3ae0.png

While my tank was down I made some Anemone Guards, they work but maybe not the most appealing to the eye. But I can sleep better knowing that if they let go, I don't need to be there the second it happens.

AnemoneGuard_zps8246488e.png

AnemoneGuarddiffview_zps382d9917.png

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nem guard. You might want to find some finer mesh and add it to your existing guard. While the main body of the nem is safe, it's tentacles are not. You might be able to find some cylindrical foam to slip over, just like vortechs use.

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nem guard. You might want to find some finer mesh and add it to your existing guard. While the main body of the nem is safe, it's tentacles are not. You might be able to find some cylindrical foam to slip over, just like vortechs use.

The picture is deceiving, there is actually an inch between the powerhead and the gutter guard. Anyways it's not the ultimate fix but it's better then nothing. The only anemone I keep that would be able to get a tentacle inside the propeller would be the LTA possibly once fully happy. None of the mags I have kept would ever have got sucked in from this.

Cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, that blue one is nice! Need to stop looking at this or you will emtpy my pocket!

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been battling a little algae as of late due to my crash, I also have a few dead spots due to having a centered weir overflow box, needless to say over holiday break I will be reaquascaping back to minimalistic from my current "channel" style scape which is causing the problems. I've been busy so this update sadly hasn't came sooner!

Blue Life USA is going to do two different shipments for me, this time around I got a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang, 20 Astrea Snails & 3 Acro colonies, one of which was bleached either before or during shipping. Two of the colonies were bigger but due to having to take off their bases in case unwanted pests such as AEFW or red bugs tagged along I had to break them off the best I could so currently my sand bed looks like a frag tank.

Also on my Anemones, I ended up losing my last multicolor Gigantea from the crash. I treated it for 7 days, it looked fine for the last 3 days in treatment but after a week in my DT it was sick again, round 2 of treatment it ended up never recovering. So I only have 1 H. Magnifica (Brown & White Tips), 2 S. Haddoni (Green & Blue) and 1 (Pink) LTA left.

A. Abrolhosensis or A. Spathulata, I think it's Spathulata.

410282f1-1cb2-4a64-88d6-10cef1c7102a_zps991b7356.jpg

0b6d53c7-de71-4c4d-b8ee-05fd6f869fd8_zps94b54609.jpg

A. Millepora,

6a519dd7-6aa6-4766-9ecb-49f4c75f183f_zpsdf1e1556.jpg

No idea on ID on this one, maybe A. Valida or A. Secale?

42ca4fb5-9a19-4b0b-aa65-67d5fb8f974e_zps8c8c3469.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back