Juvenile clownfish pairing

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 clownfish 2 weeks ago which are roughly 6 months old, as time has gone on the aggression from one to the other has got more and more serious to the point were one had ripped tail fin and a nip on its side.. the past couple days it has been hiding right up behind the filter on its side like it's hiding, only coming out for food before being chased back there.

Today I have put the inferior clown into my newly cycled 55gallon DT and left the dominant clown in the 40litre QT.

Is the size of the QT the problem... Will they be ok in the DT or will they never get along?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can try them in an acclimation box until things get sorted out. Something so there's a barrier but still able to interact

Upvote 0

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the clownfish the same size? I only ask because if you put 2 in that are the same size you might be asking for trouble, I have had a lot of clownfish over the years and most of the aggression I've found is having them be the same size. or same sex, having them separated is a good idea, maybe try getting a clear box to slowly acclimate them again.

I don't think its a territory issue though that's a lot of space haha!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the clownfish the same size? I only ask because if you put 2 in that are the same size you might be asking for trouble, I have had a lot of clownfish over the years and most of the aggression I've found is having them be the same size. or same sex, having them separated is a good idea, maybe try getting a clear box to slowly acclimate them again.

I don't think its a territory issue though that's a lot of space haha!
They are roughly the same size, the aggressive one has much better shape and markings.. especially since it's ripped the fins of the other:rolleyes: I've got them in seperate tanks now but I will have to try n get and acclimation box n give that a go

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will know by observation when they are ready to be freed. I'd put the one that gets picked on inside the acclimation box. They will still interact. Once you see that there is no longer aggression they can be allowed to be together again with caution.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will know by observation when they are ready to be freed. I'd put the one that gets picked on inside the acclimation box. They will still interact. Once you see that there is no longer aggression they can be allowed to be together again with caution.
Thanks for the advice laa, is it better to have one in and one out or get an acclimation box with a divider?

Upvote 0

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are roughly the same size, the aggressive one has much better shape and markings.. especially since it's ripped the fins of the other:rolleyes: I've got them in seperate tanks now but I will have to try n get and acclimation box n give that a go
That sounds about right with the aggression, if you dont want to risk it take that other who is hurt get him feeling better and try and take it back to your lfs, get a smaller one. and slowly introduce your new little guy in the box divider and the aggression should be zero.

Your clowns are basically fighting for dominance if they are the same size but once you introduce one that is not the same size the bigger clown will know its the "boss"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about right with the aggression, if you dont want to risk it take that other who is hurt get him feeling better and try and take it back to your lfs, get a smaller one. and slowly introduce your new little guy in the box divider and the aggression should be zero.

Your clowns are basically fighting for dominance if they are the same size but once you introduce one that is not the same size the bigger clown will know its the "boss"
The aggressive one is slighty bigger and I'd have thought it knew it's the boss at the fact the other is injured and hiding from it and constantly swimming for its life lol I will keep them separated for now and try them in and acclimation box I think

Upvote 0

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd love for them to host something and get along, Iv read that anemones are hard to keep is this true? Should I go for a hammer or torch coral instead
Degree of difficulty is all over the board with anemones. I wouldn't try any until your tank that has matured six months. That being said, BTAs are some of the easiest and also readily host many types of clowns, https://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Degree of difficulty is all over the board with anemones. I wouldn't try any until your tank that has matured six months. That being said, BTAs are some of the easiest and also readily host many types of clowns, https://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm
Thanks for the advice buddy, Fair enough so would you not try BTAs until it's 6 months mature either? What soft corals would you suggest for a new tank that the clowns may host for now

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice buddy, Fair enough so would you not try BTAs until it's 6 months mature either? What soft corals would you suggest for a new tank that the clowns may host for now
Keep in mind that the clowns may never host a coral. I've had clowns for 2 years and nems for over a year. My clowns host a powerhead.

Upvote 0

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are called anemone fish for a reason. But I wouldn't focus too much on hosting until you get past the six month mark. You haven't said what type of clowns they are.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Ocellaris Clownfish
Just an update for anyone looking for advice in future, I seperated them by placing the inferior injured clownfish in my newly cycled DT and after about 5 days it Gained some confidence back and healed up a bit, I added the aggressor and they instantly swam to eachother and rubbed against eachother and have been together since with no signs of aggression.:D

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back