juvenile Ornate Sandgoby (Istigobius ornatus) experience

Spinoyonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1690454532388.png

I live at the Indo-Pacific so i get tropical reef species in my shores and i caught this juvenile Ornate Sand Goby (Istigobius ornatus). He is around 1.5 inches but he will grow to around 4.5 inches.
From research ive seen of Istigobius ornatus and their relatives, its a sandsifter and need an establish subtrate but i found Istigobius ornatus eats inverts.

However my specimen pecks at the reef rocks aswell as sandsift. He also started taking pellets and also pecked at shrimp meat i put for my nassarius snails. Since caught, he has gain quite some girth to him and has grown abit hopefully i can grow him out to an adult and see how his behaviours change since he is quite skittish. Extremely hardy little guy

Also found out they been bred in captivity before: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2019/07/18/ornate-goby-istigobius-ornatus-another-breeding-first/

I dont know if these appear in the States or in Europe but they seem way better than most of the other sand sifting gobies given that they dont eat small inverts and be more territorial which i have not experienced yet since he is still 1.5 inches.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back