jz's 60 Gallon Shallow

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for updated pics!! Would love to see how it's coming along. Did the clown make the transition to this tank? Don't see it in the pics. Is that a gonipora in the foreground of a few of the pics??

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, the clown has a new home. He was too much of a bully.

Those are actually palys on that rock, they're just really stretching.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, seems I haven't posted in this thread in ages.

Unfortunately the tank has taken a turn for the worse since I last posted. I've lost quite a few favias from a group buy and at least a dozen or so acan colonies from my collection and one from the group buy. Some of my smaller pieces were literally shriveling up to nothing overnight and larger pieces within a day or two. I gave them all a good Furan2 dipping and some coral rx which helped all of the ones that weren't already lost. The infection was very clear to see around the edges and very widespread on some of the pieces.

At this point everything is looking better and starting to get healthy again. It's crazy how fast something can change in the tank, fortunately for me I've never had to deal with anything like this prior to now. Thanks again to barbianj for helping me out with the Furan, R2R to the rescue once again!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear everything is improving. So frustrating, but I guess they say, what doesn't kill you makes you smarter... eh?

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke too soon! I was gone for two nights and came home to my happy endings and an awesome acan colony from Sonny completely decimated. I really can't figure it out guys...

I tested and did a wc last night and everything looked fine (i'll post readings later).
I've given them dips in coralrx, furan and iodine (not all at the same time) and i thought the furan had helped but to no avail.
Last night I sat in front of the tank in the dark for close to 2 hours with only the red LED's on and I didn't see a single predator worth worrying about...

I'm at a complete loss here guys, just when I thought things were looking better I lose my favorite acans...this stinks.

I should mention that there are plenty of pieces in the tank, including a few SPS that I have that look completely fine. The happy endings and piece from Sonny were looking fluffy and happy when I left Friday...

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the posibility of a pest, but maybe your nutrients are just too low? My old 125 was filled with Acans, but once I moved them into my ULNS 180, they all struggled. In the 180, I can't seem to keep acan lords (echinatas are fine) or chalices. Are you carbon dosing to reduce nutrients?

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no carbon dosing or aything like that. I'm running an SWC 120 skimmer and some carbon/gfo but that's it. I don't feed very much but I do spot feed the acans once per week or so.

Pest may be a possibility, but I haven't seen anything yet...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry for the losses. :(

I do hope you can get it figure out. good luck.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back