K.p aquatics premium real live rock!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No one buys cultured in the ocean live rock for the bacteria. They buy it from the quality and quantity of life on the rocks. Look at the pics, sponges galore, cool hitchhikers, some corals maybe and macro algae. That’s why they buy it.
But also pistol shrimp and bad stuff , I rather buy 3 brittle stars . I'm buying the rock for the maturity of the bacteria . The macro algae isnt helping you insta cycle . It was just a thought I had , I totally agree on the live rock being the best but I'm not paying $800 for 100 lbs of rock so I'm thinking what next best thing would be .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased 10lbs of k.p aquatics premium live rock and it was at my house not even a few days later! I just opened it and I am actually very happy with the look and smell of the rock it looks amazing, completely submerged in water! its just so hard to get real live rock around me or even quality dry rock.

I ran across their name on r2r and looked at a few reviews so I figured I would try it, in only 10 lbs there were allot of hitch hikers on board but just some brittle stars and I think red emerald crabs I've never seen red b4 but looks just like green emeralds. And a few worms:( but its live rock and my systems already have hikers, hikers welcome .. im going to still cure them long b4 they go near my nice tank if they even dew.. I have a few holding tanks im going to put them in and keep an eye out for when they get back in stock!

They look great to me and i support their harvesting practices! I just wanted to put this information out so maybe someone else could benefit from this too.

Thank you all

20211006_155728.jpg 20211006_160843.jpg
Looks nice - Recommend high flow! and Carbon - because not all of those things will survive in the conditions in your tank... Awesome

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well considering it had to sit in the ocean for years and frags of ultra rainbow poop newest coral sell for more. :)
Not just what you said but just think of the amount of work that goes into placing, letting sit and maintain for 2 years then drive back out harvest and clean then ship to wherever, dont tell them but I think its a great price, all I had to do was a few clicks of the mouse and bam great rock @ my door! :)

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also pistol shrimp and bad stuff , I rather buy 3 brittle stars . I'm buying the rock for the maturity of the bacteria . The macro algae isnt helping you insta cycle . It was just a thought I had , I totally agree on the live rock being the best but I'm not paying $800 for 100 lbs of rock so I'm thinking what next best thing would be .
Legitimate points! thats whats cool about this hobby there is an option for everyone and different ways to accomplish what we want. I think I'm going to make a few small purchases and also mix with dry rock for a tank build I have in mind, but looking at this rock and as time passes I may just stay with all their rock, and just get 10-15lbs orders when I can

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering all the time, effort, frustration and money spent fighting the uglies, this may seem like a bargain. :) just look at all the posts on here about dinos/GHA/cyano/diatoms. Reminds me of an old commercial…”you can pay me now, or pay me later”.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pistol shrimp are about the least bad "pest" you can get. Mostly they're just noisy. Free shrimp! Or if you don't want them, there's always a bottle trap. The majority of live rock pests are relatively easy to remove, i.e. gorilla crabs, or not a very big deal. Just watch it for a bit before putting in anything super valuable. Plus, you're pretty much guaranteed not to get dinos, as long as you don't proceed to horribly starve the tank.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone wants good shapes, you can always buy some nice-shaped dry rock and 10-20lbs of this stuff. You'll get loads of algae all over the dry rock for awhile as it matures, but all that life on the live rock should spread, with the exception of things that are novelty items anyway- tunicates and the like.

You're right that people mostly buy live rock for the critters (best way to get detritivores and beneficial algaes, after all), but there is something to be said for the bacteria content of the rock. That's mature rock right there, years worth of progress, sitting in a biodiversity unmatched by any reef tank. You get that stuff shipped in water, you put it in water for a week or so, and bam- not just instant cycle, but instant maturity. Can start putting corals in as soon as any die-off is gone.
Exactly! Yes aquascaping with dry rock can make for a sweet design however the amount time it takes to mature is ridiculous compared to natures way. Honestly, I’m used to the rock we got 10-15 yrs ago just before dry rock became a thing. If you built a reef you did with Fiji, Manado, Tonga etc straight the ocean (minus a week or two ) but the rock was loaded with bacteria, coralline and tons of critters. Instant biome. It’s also much more authentic in appearance.
Yes 100lbs in water will be in the $1k ballpark but I would never ever setup a new tank with out this rock from KP. Just my opinion

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering all the time, effort, frustration and money spent fighting the uglies, this may seem like a bargain. :) just look at all the posts on here about dinos/GHA/cyano/diatoms. Reminds me of an old commercial…”you can pay me now, or pay me later”.
Exactly! Worth every penny to avoid the ugly uglies - I never ever had algae issues with live rock. Not once in 15 yrs.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been really happy with the rock! Its cured this whole time with a few 100% water changes and scrubbing to now the rock has a clean ocean smell, allot of stuff died off like algae crud but I would suck it out of the bottom of the tank. I've placed a few rocks in my tank and will be placing the rest because I just got a 15lbs order it should be here soon again. I'll do the same quick process again with them.

if your looking at their rock put in a notify me with your email and be ready to check out fast but it seems every week they get back in stock, and I'll say I was hesitant but im very happy with their product!

Screenshot_20211016-091208_Gmail.jpg

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one buys cultured in the ocean live rock for the bacteria. They buy it from the quality and quantity of life on the rocks. Look at the pics, sponges galore, cool hitchhikers, some corals maybe and macro algae. That’s why they buy it.
Well I only bought mine for the bacteria diversity.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock brang some friends - I’m cheap and shipped only 10lbs dry no rush. Took 4 days in shipping and somehow minimal die off, got weird macros , sun coral , alot of aptasia , oysters , so much coraline and mantis shrimp

Attachments

• 3BCEA714-48C4-4653-AFC8-1130FD2BEE2F.jpeg
    3BCEA714-48C4-4653-AFC8-1130FD2BEE2F.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 70

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 10lbs of k.p aquatics premium live rock and it was at my house not even a few days later! I just opened it and I am actually very happy with the look and smell of the rock it looks amazing, completely submerged in water! its just so hard to get real live rock around me or even quality dry rock.

I ran across their name on r2r and looked at a few reviews so I figured I would try it, in only 10 lbs there were allot of hitch hikers on board but just some brittle stars and I think red emerald crabs I've never seen red b4 but looks just like green emeralds. And a few worms:( but its live rock and my systems already have hikers, hikers welcome .. im going to still cure them long b4 they go near my nice tank if they even dew.. I have a few holding tanks im going to put them in and keep an eye out for when they get back in stock!

They look great to me and i support their harvesting practices! I just wanted to put this information out so maybe someone else could benefit from this too.

Thank you all

20211006_155728.jpg 20211006_160843.jpg

Looking to start my tank in the next month or so with a large amount of KP rock, so glad to hear you’ve had a good experience!

Renting a truck to pick it up local and drive it back to Tampa in tubs to save on shipping once tank is ready. Can’t wait!

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered and received 2 different shipments from KP. A total of 125 and 80 ponds shipped in water.
Very happy with mine.

FYI get the Brown Mithraculas crabs out now! While you can. They get huge. I have pulled at least 5 in the last 5 months.

They can get 5 to 6 inches wide and will eat any and everything. The worms get large also. Get the Mantis out as well. I have a large black one that ate my cleaner shrimp. Good Luck.

Got this one out 2 days ago. I think there is still one in there.

20211018_062122.jpg
20211018_065035.jpg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered and received 2 different shipments from KP. A total of 125 and 80 ponds shipped in water.
Very happy with mine.

FYI get the Brown Mithraculas crabs out now! While you can. They get huge. I have pulled at least 5 in the last 5 months.

They can get 5 to 6 inches wide and will eat any and everything. The worms get large also. Get the Mantis out as well. I have a large black one that ate my cleaner shrimp. Good Luck.

Got this one out 2 days ago. I think there is still one in there.

20211018_062122.jpg
20211018_065035.jpg
Is that a fire worm? I can never tell

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a fire worm? I can never tell

I'm not sure but I am sure it would sting. They look like this in the tank. I don't see how the fish can sleep at night .lol
The rock is worth it. Juts have to get rid of some hitch hikers.

20210418_084716 (2).jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I am sure it would sting. They look like this in the tank. I don't see how the fish can sleep at night .lol
The rock is worth it. Juts have to get rid of some hitch hikers.

20210418_084716 (2).jpg
It is. I got 300 pounds plus from KP as well. I added it to my tank first without anything in there so I can remove as many of the bad hitchhikers as I could. Got 3 mantis out (which I’ve sold to people on R2R) some fire worms (big honkers) and a good number of the larger red mithrax crabs. Started adding my corals and have gradually been plucking out some more hitchhikers as they pop up.
Fireworms have been easy to spot. They seem to have an affinity for my green sinularia which is huge and always open. At night if I see a portion that’s closed up I break out my flashlight and sure enough, fireworm thinking he’s got a giant meal. Just pluck him out with my long tweezers. Think I’ve got them all at this point. Same for crabs. I have about a half dozen small ones left which I’m leaving to scavenge. I think I have 1 mantis left which I haven’t caught yet. And I def have 3-4 pistol shrimps but I’m OK with them. Worst they will do is take out a snail now and again. But the biodiversity, beauty and 0 uglies/algae far outweighs the little bit of hunting I have to do.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the 15lb package and I wrote in the order notes this was my second order because they were awesome and I think they hooked me up ;)

But there are probably 10 feather dusters allot of shrimp and crabs that went somewhere cough cough, and a bunch of beat up brittle stars. But the rock has some great structure and growth its great! I'm happy again 266$ for 15 lbs package weight 29lbs, this rock is going to cure for a while its going to take some time to clean it. It would be difficult doing large quantities at a time for me, I can watch 10-15lbs closely.

Overall great rock here's a few pictures

Attachments

• 20211020_164414.jpg
    20211020_164414.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 58

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back