thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaned up..new rock left old original rock right

Still building out this 20 all rock is going in it i dont trust it in my main reef yet lol..
My rock brang some friends - I’m cheap and shipped only 10lbs dry no rush. Took 4 days in shipping and somehow minimal die off, got weird macros , sun coral , alot of aptasia , oysters , so much coraline and mantis shrimp
I saw allot of small shrimp and crabs most of them I discarded to the bay, but this rock came with allot of feather dusters and brittle stars too. Im worried about some of the hikers but im checking passports !

Attachments

• 16347631217976003463797646842295.jpg
    16347631217976003463797646842295.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 16347631972983324817986162954301.jpg
    16347631972983324817986162954301.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics is awesome. I found 5 gorilla crabs in my 15lb order. It's just one of those things you have to deal with when you buy actual live rock.
Lots of small crabs and shrimp in this small order last one had the red emerald crabs 4-5 this had none. Like you said, just one of those things...nature

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered and received 2 different shipments from KP. A total of 125 and 80 ponds shipped in water.
Very happy with mine.

FYI get the Brown Mithraculas crabs out now! While you can. They get huge. I have pulled at least 5 in the last 5 months.

They can get 5 to 6 inches wide and will eat any and everything. The worms get large also. Get the Mantis out as well. I have a large black one that ate my cleaner shrimp. Good Luck.

Got this one out 2 days ago. I think there is still one in there.

20211018_062122.jpg
20211018_065035.jpg
I did I've torn my tank down for emerald crabs i didn't put those in my display only in the curing stage...thanks for the information, I dont think I could get all the worms but those big ones like that ill be on the look out!

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start my tank in the next month or so with a large amount of KP rock, so glad to hear you’ve had a good experience!

Renting a truck to pick it up local and drive it back to Tampa in tubs to save on shipping once tank is ready. Can’t wait!
I thought about that, im in st.pete.. the cost was still up there with gas and time, and I dont need that much rock right now, but thats the way to do it!
it was im my price range for the amount of rock I needed to ship it, I've read about them being very helpful and even hand picking sized rock for people, I can imagine if you made a trip to see them , they may treat you pretty good!;)
Good luck dont forget to post your experience back here on r2r

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% have purchased this to improve my bacteria and general micro biome.
Do you just get a small amount and use dry rock, what is your method?
I thought about dry rock mixture, but the few pieces I had and had been curing for months im now throwing away, because there is no way they look good next to this k.p rock they looks so fake, so no man made rock for me!

Attachments

• 16347654902861432680901597553254.jpg
    16347654902861432680901597553254.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 61

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, im in st.pete.. the cost was still up there with gas and time, and I dont need that much rock right now, but thats the way to do it!
it was im my price range for the amount of rock I needed to ship it, I've read about them being very helpful and even hand picking sized rock for people, I can imagine if you made a trip to see them , they may treat you pretty good!;)
Good luck dont forget to post your experience back here on r2r
Will do!

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased from KP. I bought mine to augment my cycle in combination with some rock I pulled from my existing tank.

My shipment was in transit during a time when shipping got held up FedEx and held up in Dallas, TX -in the summer-.

The shipment being late and the heat down there started to worry me. I contacted KP and they said that I should receive the product and report back to them. They contacted the carrier and confirmed that many of their shipments had been delayed in Dallas. They were prepping to send a new box.

Surprisingly, the original shipment arrived and the rock still looked great and smelled like "the fresh ocean." I didn't need them to send me a new rock. The promptness and courteous service they provided are top-notch. Had been able to afford to aquascape my whole tank (rather than just buy a few rocks) with their product I would have done so. I wasn't prepared for how interesting it looked.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about dry rock mixture, but the few pieces I had and had been curing for months im now throwing away, because there is no way they look good next to this k.p rock they looks so fake, so no man made rock for me!
I put all my dry rock (all ready glued in sections that will fit in a brute trash can and throw salt water in there. Then I grab a big 8 inch filer rock and take chunks of KP or other seeded rock and use it to float in the trash can with the filter sock opening hanging out the lip for a month. No light, just ATO.

It has stopped large pests from transferring to the dry rock. It’s hard to say where my vermitide snails show up from. They seem unavoidable.

On older systems I just throw the rock in the sump.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put all my dry rock (all ready glued in sections that will fit in a brute trash can and throw salt water in there. Then I grab a big 8 inch filer rock and take chunks of KP or other seeded rock and use it to float in the trash can with the filter sock opening hanging out the lip for a month. No light, just ATO.

It has stopped large pests from transferring to the dry rock. It’s hard to say where my vermitide snails show up from. They seem unavoidable.

On older systems I just throw the rock in the sump.
Yes this sounds like the safest way to go and a good method to maximize the cost and be able to build a structure dry first, thank you!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 50% dry caribsea in my 120 and 50% live from my nano and lfs.
I did the same in my 45 frag system. Some of the dead rock in my frag tank was the purple painted stuff.
In 6 months all rock was covered in coralline and you would never tell it was manmade.
I just went to the lfs today and picked up some wet but dead live rock. You can tell the difference from manmade or mined easily.
I put it into my frag systems sump and then move a rock to the display and it will be covered in coralline in no time then back to the sump.
Setting up a 40/40 breeder sump to fill with live and dead for my upgrade.
I will use kp and tbs but wont need huge amounts to turn dead into live.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back