K1 Nano Skimmer

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i have had my skimmer running for about a week. It is very difficult to get the bubbles set at the same spot in the skimmer. They seem to have a mind of their own. Is this normal for a skimmer that's breaking in? Sometimes the bubbles fill the whole tube and other times they are barely in the tube. It also seems that every time i top off the tank the bubbles increase quite a lot and i have to empty the collection cup but then they settle down. The water in the cup is a slightly brown color so i am assuming it is doing some removal also. Has anyone else had these same issues and if so when do you know the bubbles are set correctly and the skimmer is "broken in"? Thanks

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer and it took a few weeks to settle down. The water level has significant impact on the amount of bubbles in the riser as well as the micro bubbles that return back to the tank.

My personal experience is to have the water level about 2 inches from the opening where the cup is attached. Adjust the bubble height to just below that level and monitor. I only adjust 1/8 of a turn every couple hours to allow the skimmer to slowly adjust. I have an IM Nuvo 20 and like to keep my water level in the back chamber a little lower to help with surface skimming and that affects the amount of micro bubbles coming back into the tank. When the level was higher in the back chambers, I had no issues with micro bubbles. The micro bubbles don't bother me because my skimmer only runs when the lights are off.

I dump my skimmate every few days(about 3/4 of the riser tube). It's a dark watery tea color, which is okay with me. I only run my skimmer 4 hours a day when lights go out. I think it does a pretty job for what it cost. I don't run it 24/7 because it does a pretty job of stripping too much nutrients for me. I like my nutrients a little higher.

It's a nice little skimmer once you get it dialed in. I do remember it took a little while though.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two of these skimmers and they have worked great from day one. Are you using it in an all in one? If so, you really need a constant water level and that is probably your problem. That is going to be true with any skimmer. You want your water level to stay about 1/4 under your last baffle going into your return chamber. That way the chamber where the skimmer is always the same water height. I would suggest getting an ATO.

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own two of these skimmers and they have worked great from day one. Are you using it in an all in one? If so, you really need a constant water level and that is probably your problem. That is going to be true with any skimmer. You want your water level to stay about 1/4 under your last baffle going into your return chamber. That way the chamber where the skimmer is always the same water height. I would suggest getting an ATO.

+1 above.

I forgot to mention that I have an ATO and water level has to be constant.

OP
OP
rob s.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer and it took a few weeks to settle down. The water level has significant impact on the amount of bubbles in the riser as well as the micro bubbles that return back to the tank.

My personal experience is to have the water level about 2 inches from the opening where the cup is attached. Adjust the bubble height to just below that level and monitor. I only adjust 1/8 of a turn every couple hours to allow the skimmer to slowly adjust. I have an IM Nuvo 20 and like to keep my water level in the back chamber a little lower to help with surface skimming and that affects the amount of micro bubbles coming back into the tank. When the level was higher in the back chambers, I had no issues with micro bubbles. The micro bubbles don't bother me because my skimmer only runs when the lights are off.

I dump my skimmate every few days(about 3/4 of the riser tube). It's a dark watery tea color, which is okay with me. I only run my skimmer 4 hours a day when lights go out. I think it does a pretty job for what it cost. I don't run it 24/7 because it does a pretty job of stripping too much nutrients for me. I like my nutrients a little higher.

It's a nice little skimmer once you get it dialed in. I do remember it took a little while though.
did you have problems with the flow adjustment popping out of the skimmer body when you adjusted it? Mine does and i have to take the whole skimmer out to put it back in the predrilled hole it fits in.

OP
OP
rob s.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok then what ATO do you suggest? i have a 20 wb AIO

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you have problems with the flow adjustment popping out of the skimmer body when you adjusted it? Mine does and i have to take the whole skimmer out to put it back in the predrilled hole it fits in.

That has never happened to me. Maybe apply a little glue?

I did have to contact Icecap once because I broke the air intake silencer and they were helpful in getting a new one sent to me.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back