Kade'S JBJ 65 Rimless Build

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much debate and looking, I finally snagged a killer deal on a JBJ 65 Gal.

Anticipated Parts (bold indicates purchased)
ATO: Innovative Marine AUAQ Gadget 15 Gal Reservoir w/ Neptune ATK
Controller: Apex or Apex EL
Dosing: Apex DOS
Filtration: 2x 4" Red Sea Filter Media Cup
Filter Media: Filter Floss, marine pure blocks
Heater: 2x Cobalt Neotherm 300w
Lighting: 2x AI Hydra 52 HD (Currently Hydra 26 HD)
Powerheads: 2x AI Nero 5, 21x Maxspect XF330 XF250 & 1x Ecotech MP10wQD
Pumps: Whatever came with the tank; JBJ FP-1500? Jebao DCP-3000 Apex COR-15 on a Y
Refugium: CPR Aquatics HOB Large w/ Full Spectrum LED Light 11w
Rock: 20 lbs Stax or AND 35 lbs Caribsea liferock
Sand: Fiji Pink; 40lbs + 10 lbs Live Fiji Pink
Skimmer: Tunze Comline DOC DC 9004 DC
Testing: Hanna Checkers, 758 CA, 755 ALK, 713 PO4 and Hach 2800
Test Kit: Red Sea Marine Care kit
UPS: 2x Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD

Stocking: Mostly Softie and LPS. CLAMS!

Weighing in at about 130 lbs for the tank and about 60 for the stand, it was a struggle for me and my wife to get it onto the stand. At least she's helping!

The JBJ Rimless has this annoying piece of foam that goes underneath the tank; took forever to get it aligned. I didn't take pictures, but I wound up throwing on my AI Hydra 26 HD as well and turned it on full blast.

OHJrET9.jpg

Once it was setup, I took out the trusty level and checked it...
FfZrqS1.jpg

Dead on, no shims. Yay!

jwZ06xz.jpg

Some of the stuff I have already, a Nyos TORQ, I think it's a 2L? My cousin didn't want so now I've got it. Google says its a reactor, but I have an AIO machine, so not sure if it'll work out. Also a full bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. He's got more stuff for me, but it'll have to wait until he takes down his tank.

ysSKzY6.jpg

Hooked up the RODI unit (please excuse the messy utility room), John guest 3/8 connects to the spectrapure.

reTxBne.jpg

Which I'm sure is way more than I need. It makes 90 GPD and has a booster pump. I made a 5 gallon jug yesterday, but I need to put sand and my dry rock first. Before I put that in, I need to get it!

So I've got a couple questions:
do I need more lighting? less?
Should I use Red Sea Marine Coral Pro? Or go with a couple buckets of Instant Ocean?
I want a refugium, should I dedicate one of my chambers or get an overflow + sump?

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anticipated Parts:
Dosing: Not sure if I need to yet.
Powerheads: 2x AI Nero 5 or 2x Maxspect XF330 (too much flow?)
Pumps: Whatever came with the tank; JBJ FP-1500?
Rock: Stax or Caribsea liferock
Sand: Fiji Pink; 80lbs?
Skimmer: Tunze Comline DOC DC 9004
UPS: Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD

Weighing in at about 130 lbs for the tank and about 60 for the stand, it was a struggle for me and my wife to get it onto the stand. At least she's helping!

The JBJ Rimless has this annoying piece of foam that goes underneath the tank; took forever to get it aligned. I didn't take pictures, but I wound up throwing on my AI Hydra 26 HD as well and turned it on full blast.

OHJrET9.jpg

FfZrqS1.jpg

Dead on, no shims. Yay!

jwZ06xz.jpg

Some of the stuff I have already, a Nyos TORQ, I think it's a 2L? My cousin didn't want so now I've got it. Google says its a reactor, but I have an AIO machine, so not sure if it'll work out. Also a full bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. He's got more stuff for me, but it'll have to wait until he takes down his tank.

ysSKzY6.jpg

Hooked up the RODI unit (please excuse the messy utility room), John guest 3/8 connects to the spectrapure.

reTxBne.jpg

Which I'm sure is way more than I need. It makes 90 GPD and has a booster pump. I made a 5 gallon jug yesterday, but I need to put sand and my dry rock first. Before I put that in, I need to get it!

Should I use Red Sea Marine Coral Pro? Or go with a couple buckets of Instant Ocean?
I want a refugium, should I dedicate one of my chambers or get an overflow + sump?
I’ve used Instant Ocean without a problem. Lots of the big public aquariums use it too. Is there a setup for a refugium in one of the chambers? Usually the glass will be clear on the back for a light.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anticipated Parts:
Dosing: Not sure if I need to yet.
Powerheads: 2x AI Nero 5 or 2x Maxspect XF330 (too much flow?)
Pumps: Whatever came with the tank; JBJ FP-1500?
Rock: Stax or Caribsea liferock
Sand: Fiji Pink; 80lbs?
Skimmer: Tunze Comline DOC DC 9004
UPS: Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD

OHJrET9.jpg

FfZrqS1.jpg

Dead on, no shims. Yay!

jwZ06xz.jpg

ysSKzY6.jpg

reTxBne.jpg

I have a similar setup for my jbj45. Same skimmer, apex, and Im reservoir. Two 52’s is a bit overkill. One 26 on my 45 grows acro’s 20 inches from the light. For a Fuge, I bought an aquamaxx frs-e, $20 strip lights, a $15 hobby fan, and 4 inch pvc pipe to make my cheato reactor/Fuge

8343A74F-53AD-4A82-BE0D-0C6D37E1D944.jpeg

A747CE60-B2C5-4BA8-BD72-2382BB8AD32D.jpeg

D65FCB5F-57EA-4618-99A3-3EF220C78256.jpeg

C0ED0035-52D7-4314-9C1F-FC1844182EB6.jpeg

83DCB8F1-8A57-4EC2-8B84-A969982191F2.jpeg

A7B13A9A-17EF-4DC5-A3F2-FBC5DD20550A.jpeg

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that and from what's available, I'm probably just going to go with bulk boxes of instant ocean, I'll save the coral-pro for water changes.

Picking up sand and some rock today. Fiji Pink and Pukani, as well as a 20lb box of Stax.

Is there a setup for a refugium in one of the chambers? Usually the glass will be clear on the back for a light.
Back is covered with some wrap-like material. I'm not comfortable cutting into it and possibly scratching the glass, so I think I'll follow @Act1n1c_L1fe and do something in a HOB reactor.

For a Fuge, I bought an aquamaxx frs-e, $20 strip lights, a $15 hobby fan, and 4 inch pvc pipe to make my cheato reactor/Fuge
Just wrapped the LEDs around the reactor and then sheath the reactor inside the PVC? I'm assuming the fan is for cooling.

I also found some of the Santa Monica scrubbers, might do that instead depending on things.

I would use 2 26’s unless you want to grow huge Acro colonies on the sand
I actually only have one 26, I do have two 52s, so I'll probably turn them way down in power. Or I might sell both and get another 26.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that and from what's available, I'm probably just going to go with bulk boxes of instant ocean, I'll save the coral-pro for water changes.

Picking up sand and some rock today. Fiji Pink and Pukani, as well as a 20lb box of Stax.

Back is covered with some wrap-like material. I'm not comfortable cutting into it and possibly scratching the glass, so I think I'll follow @Act1n1c_L1fe and do something in a HOB reactor.

Just wrapped the LEDs around the reactor and then sheath the reactor inside the PVC? I'm assuming the fan is for cooling.

I also found some of the Santa Monica scrubbers, might do that instead depending on things.

I actually only have one 26, I do have two 52s, so I'll probably turn them way down in power. Or I might sell both and get another 26.
If you already have two 52’s just turn them way down. The lights are wrapped around the reactor and mounted with clips and adhesive I found at Home Depot. It’s way cheaper then a Santa Monica. I would get a bigger reactor for a 65. Would probably be half the price of a Santa Monica. Was only around $150 to set up mine

013D0308-BFB8-4A07-91C1-FDA7F1CBB118.jpeg

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short update, bought about 35lbs of live rock, its caribsea liferock from LFS to make the basic shapes I want. I've got another 20 lbs of stax rock coming in.

tWAGSo6.jpg

Designed an arch, will give about 2" of clearance from the back at closest point, average of 3" and I still have another 8" of space from the top. Used NYOS reef cement to hold them together. The other two rocks are going to form an island in the middle of the rockwork and the right side will prop up a shelf made of stax another 6" to the right while the base rock will sit about 4" of stax.

No LFS carries dry sand and I really don't want to deal with the "live" sand since it's been sitting on the shelf for ages, so ordered that as well. Fiji pink, hopefully I don't have a sandstorm!

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate update - my package of rocks got delivered to the wrong house by UPS. Wonder what they're going to do with a box of rocks....

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the missing box of rocks and sand is being dealt with, I moved the aquascape from the outside of the tank and put it in. Also mounted my Hydra 52s on HMS Single arms, everything's gonna need sunglasses ;Stig. Weird issue, I can't get the HMS Single Arms to stay level, I tightened them per the instructions, but they are tilted slightly.

So, current FTS:
BtyityD.jpg

Left Side:
0uJmYhs.jpg

Right Side:
VmirBVq.jpg

Top-Down:
JPd0Wq7.jpg

Closer up-front angle:
ZUsRDlP.jpg

Also, is there enough room along the back? Keep in mind 2" of sand is going in AND when I get my Stax, I'm building some platforms with the Stax that this is going to sit on so the top of the arch is about 2" below the waterline, currently its 6".
INKkzff.jpg

Also, my Apex arrived, but one of my probes looks like this? Should I send it back or reach out to support? or use it?
oJjbcMh.jpg

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked on the tank to setup the pumps, while trying to slide the COR-15 in, the middle divider panel shifted and started peeling away.
IO5A8gp.jpg

Wound up cleaning it up and removing the rest of the silicone.
1HLO5s5.jpg

Now the COR-15 is a lot more comfortable. I'm not sure if this divider did much more than split the final chamber in half. If I need to brace the AIO wall, I'll do that as well. Hopefully I won't need to.

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saga continues!

uKwXWxK.jpg

Prepping the COR-15, I have a wye coming in later today from Amazon.

GRvjXIe.jpg

Added sand to the tank, 40lbs of fiji pink dry and 10 lbs of fiji pink "live" from caribsea.

VlUEWle.jpg

Temp battery backup has been installed in the cabinet. Probably won't be necessary when we get our powerwall in a couple months.

hNadGcQ.jpg

Tangles from everything - this will be fixed shortly....

SEmBxDQ.jpg

Making labels for all my cords, both ends get labeled.

aLxe7Fp.jpg

See?

8sY4gAQ.jpg

And they wrap and look like this.

fUXQJGg.jpg

Hooked up the Apex and did some cable management. Its in the cabinet, so not too big of a deal.

K2XWvBU.jpg

Put the controllers on the wall, I need to make an extension for the AI Nero5, its too short :(

j57V8xB.jpg

Added water...

gGFx1Cx.jpg

From above, and a view of my fuge with sand bed. Probably will throw a sail or two in there to make sure the sand gets stirred. I'll be growing sea lettuce and cheato. Will be seeding it with pods as soon as I get the cheato.

Now, to figure out this apex programming thing.

Also, it looks like the 15 gal reservoir is too large for my stand, so I'll be swapping for a 20 gallon tank with lid. I'll need to figure out a good drawer or something to fill it when I need to.

EDIT: I guess I should put some numbers down:
Salinity: 1.026
PH 8.1 - 8.3 (so far shifting, but need to calibrate Apex sensors)
Temp 77.3

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

I'm gonna pickup a bottle of bio-spira and Dr Tim's one & only, then dose some ammonia to start. However, should I wait for the cloudyness to die down before I do that?

Last edited:

harthag12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit late on this but I'm setting up the same tank. I built the 2nd chamber on the left for a refugium. The black vinyl on the back cuts easily & cleanly. I bought a innovative marine Chaetomax, held it to the back where I wanted it & used an Xacto knife to cut around it, it than just peeled off. I look forward to your build, looks like good equipment for it.

OP
OP
KadeSirin

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit late on this but I'm setting up the same tank. I built the 2nd chamber on the left for a refugium. The black vinyl on the back cuts easily & cleanly. I bought a innovative marine Chaetomax, held it to the back where I wanted it & used an Xacto knife to cut around it, it than just peeled off. I look forward to your build, looks like good equipment for it.
I feel like I'm running out of space in the tank! I peeled off some of the black
I went with the HOB route since I wanted to increase water volume, there was a good "A" grade CPR Aquatics HOB Refugium with light, added another 4.3 gallons to the water in the tank.

I'm a little envious of your IM 100 gal because you can have an actual sump, but I got a killer deal on this one, 600 + tax, so more money for corals and gear!

Do you have a build thread for your 65?

harthag12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm setting up that tank & the 65 at the same time so it's a bit hectic and slow. The 100 is cycling though I WAYYY overdosed Ammonia so I'm a bit worried. I might get a build up for the 65 this weekend, I have rock stacked for it just need to cement it together & i'm in the process of building an egg crate cage for the refugium & 2 sets of egg crate legs for the two intake chambers. I went with Intank baskets for the 45g (they're a bit short). I also went single pump with a Sicce 1.5 I believe.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back