Kalk not working as expected

vtecintegra

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I started dosing kalk, from 8pm to 7am, to help with pH. pH has been running from a low of 7.7 at night, to a high of 7.9 during the day, on average. My goal was for kalk to eliminate the low dip at night. Instead, it looks like it did the opposite and eliminated the high peak in the day. Probe is new and was calibrated. House is new and CO2 is high. I'm in Florida so the house is closed most of the year. In the winter when I can open the house up, pH is much higher. Here is a chart for the last several days. The left area with the peaks and valleys was without kalk. The area to the right is with it. I perplexed with what's going on. Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 1.27.19 PM.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Agree with Randy. Also if your probe is very new, like a couple weeks or less, you should calibrate again after a couple weeks of use. And, if there is someone else in the house, you will notice it with pH. The pH of my tank, VERY roughly, drops about .1 pH point per additional person.

OP
V

vtecintegra

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Alk has went from 7.7 to 9.0. Currently dosing 1/2 gallon of saturated kalk to 125 total gallons overnight. Coral demand is relatively low with a half dozen hammers and frogspawn, a couple frags of stylo, and some soft corals. Thanks Randy: higher Alk explains why the swing is tightened. Wasn't aware of that.

I'm going to order calibration packets. I got a new Apex with new probe a couple months ago, and immediately calibrated it. Since then I seem to be averaging .1 less. Last Apex was generally showing 7.8 to 8.0. I could get 8.2 with the house open.

CO2 is definitely a problem. 5 people, a dog, and a cat. House is a couple years old and tightly sealed.

Avast

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Alk has went from 7.7 to 9.0. Currently dosing 1/2 gallon of saturated kalk to 125 total gallons overnight. Coral demand is relatively low with a half dozen hammers and frogspawn, a couple frags of stylo, and some soft corals. Thanks Randy: higher Alk explains why the swing is tightened. Wasn't aware of that.

I'm going to order calibration packets. I got a new Apex with new probe a couple months ago, and immediately calibrated it. Since then I seem to be averaging .1 less. Last Apex was generally showing 7.8 to 8.0. I could get 8.2 with the house open.

CO2 is definitely a problem. 5 people, a dog, and a cat. House is a couple years old and tightly sealed.
I have been doing this a long time and, as much as I like to see my corals grow, I try not to worry about low pH. Good luck.

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 113 73.9%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 12 7.8%