Kalk Stirrer's Accuray

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about buying a kalk stirrer but curious of others experience. My understanding is you pump fresh water into it which causes kalk saturated solution to overflow into an outlet on the side. A dosing pump can be used to accurately push a small amount of water into the the stirrer.

In theory 5ml into should equal 5 ml out if the stirrer is at equilibrium. In actually I find it hard to believe such a small amount of water will raise the height of the water in the stirrer to start flowing out. My guess is it may take some amount of water to get the water to start to flow out and then when the pump stops it will continue to flow out until it reaches equilibrium in the stirrer. Is this right? If so, how much water does it take to get started. If not, can you please explain how does this work?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Displacement. What you pump in displaces what comes out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some surface tension to break, but not much and once it is broken, you pretty much get out what you put in.

Unless you are dosing kalk to a nano, precision is not an issue. This is not nearly as potent as dosing 2-part.

For example, in a 24 hour period I dose 110ml of each two part and 3.6 LITERS of kalk.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 148 60.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.0%
Back