Kalk

Jbarrett_2673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy I'm running a avast k1 kalk stirrer my sand is clumping up I started up using seachem kalk I had to double the dose it get it 12.4 I have know clean my reactor and put a different kalk I put one cup that's what avast marine recommended what how should I go about the sand clumping I broke it up as much as I can also change the drip rate 5 ml per min I have 150 display and trigger systems 39 platinum sump

OP
OP
J

Jbarrett_2673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy I'm running a avast k1 kalk stirrer my sand is clumping up I started up using seachem kalk I had to double the dose it get it 12.4 I have know clean my reactor and put a different kalk I put one cup that's what avast marine recommended what how should I go about the sand clumping I broke it up as much as I can also change the drip rate 5 ml per min I have 150 display and trigger systems 39 platinum sump
I also use instant ocean salt I'm not dosing any my alk is 11.49
Cal is 470
Mag 1507
Alk has always been around 10.5 before add the kalk

OP
OP
J

Jbarrett_2673

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Randy didn't proof read my post here is in better detail
Punctuation goes a long way. Post a new thread or tell him that you were in a rush

Hi Randy,

I'm currentlt running an avast k1 kalk stirrer and my sand is clumping up. I'm not dosing 2 part because the kalk reactor meets my coral needs. I started off using seachems brand of kalk. According to the instructions it suggested to double the recommended amount added to the reactor if using "pure" water, so i did. I have a calibrated pH probe monitored by apex to read the pH inside the reactor and after adding double the recommended amount i was able to attain better reaults from that brand. However I wasn't happy with the saturated pH levels and have since cleaned my reactor and swapped over to Captiv8 Aquacultures kalk (Isol8 Ca(OH)2 Kalkwasser). Which allowed me to get 12.4.

I am primarily using the kalkwasser to raise the pH in my tank. The speed of the avast marine paddle doesn't allow for kalk paste dosing (or whatever the folks are calling it), which means I was only adding [up to] saturated kalk to the tank.

My question is: Is it common for the sand to clump by adding too much kalkwasser to the tank? And is there any harm breaking up the clumped sand?

I have broken as much as I can up and also slowed the drip rate to 5 ml per min, which is the opposite of what my goal to raise pH.

I have 150 display and trigger systems 39 platinum sump

Something else worth noting is I also use instant ocean salt and based on my trident my parameters are as follows:
Alk: 11.49
Cal: 470
Mag: 1507

Priot to adding the reactor Alk was steady at 10.5.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware that limewater (kalkwasser) is an alk and Ca supplement?

You can use kalk in place of 2 part to dose alk and Ca, because it has pH benefits. But you shouldn't add kalk to raise pH when alk and Ca are already high enough, or actually too high.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware that limewater (kalkwasser) is an alk and Ca supplement?

You can use kalk in place of 2 part to dose alk and Ca, because it has pH benefits. But you shouldn't add kalk to raise pH when alk and Ca are already high enough, or actually too high.
I think the takeaway from his question is, can calcium hydroxide precipitate and harden the sand like overdosing 2 part does?

I'm curious of the answer as well. @Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high alk and pH is driving the precipitation. I’d allow the alk to decline to the 7-8 dKH range, pH will also be lower, and the precipitation should slow a lot.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the takeaway from his question is, can calcium hydroxide precipitate and harden the sand like overdosing 2 part does?

I'm curious of the answer as well. @Randy Holmes-Farley
I think that while alk is 11.5 dKH and Ca is 470 ppm, dosing kalkwasser to increase pH is a bad plan that can cause issues including precipitation.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high alk and pH is driving the precipitation. I’d allow the alk to decline to the 7-8 dKH range, pH will also be lower, and the precipitation should slow a lot.
Was thinking of adding a Kalk Reactor but fear the sand will harden as well. This happened to me years ago with just two part.
Is the sand hardening typical with adding kalk ? What causes the sand to do this ?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back