Kalkstirrer dosage

  • Thread starter Thread starter kilnakorr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kilnakorr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
575
Location
Denmark
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've setting up a kalkstirrer, but having a hard time finding a decent amount of ml to add - as a good start point.
My KH uptake as just under 1 per day (0.8 or so).
Anyone can shoot me a start number in ml, so I can adjust from there?
 
How large is your system?

For my tank i started very conservatively @ 10mls per hour then just kept bumping it up....

I currently go by the ACI Chris Meckley method. Basically, you are just replacing your daily evaporation overnight. So, if you have an ATO you will take this offline and will have to figure out just how much water you are evaporating daily. Right now, I'm dosing 1900mls every night. I am also forcing some evap. with a small fan on my sump. Mainly doing this to help keep pH up since i am in a high CO2 environment and pH drops quickly. Honestly i stopped caring too much about an exact number for KH... mine is sitting at 12.1 according to salifert test kits and my tank has never looked better at 2 years old currently. Other factors play into this like light, nutrients and flow.

hope this helps.
 
How large is your system?

For my tank i started very conservatively @ 10mls per hour then just kept bumping it up....

I currently go by the ACI Chris Meckley method. Basically, you are just replacing your daily evaporation overnight. So, if you have an ATO you will take this offline and will have to figure out just how much water you are evaporating daily. Right now, I'm dosing 1900mls every night. I am also forcing some evap. with a small fan on my sump. Mainly doing this to help keep pH up since i am in a high CO2 environment and pH drops quickly. Honestly i stopped caring too much about an exact number for KH... mine is sitting at 12.1 according to salifert test kits and my tank has never looked better at 2 years old currently. Other factors play into this like light, nutrients and flow.

hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.
My total system is roughly 120 gl.
I am currently just upping the dosage, while decreasing the balling, and just going to adjust the numbers based on kh.
I need to keep and eye on the total amount of water added though.
 
You plug your plug numbers into a calculator like this one for the alk rise you want.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
The maximum volume you can add is equal to the amount of your make up water daily.
The difference is made up with balling
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new