kalkwasser dosing and precipitation

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After switching from AFR to Moonshiners I'm having trouble keeping my alkalinity up. Currently I'm at 7.8 and just increased from 2800 to 3600mls kalkwasser per day. Despite using a 5g carboy bottle with a stopper and small vent to minimize air exposure I still get lots of settling on the bottom. Tank is 135g. Is this normal? Can I reuse the kalk that settles or do I need to clean the container out each time?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After switching from AFR to Moonshiners I'm having trouble keeping my alkalinity up. Currently I'm at 7.8 and just increased from 2800 to 3600mls kalkwasser per day. Despite using a 5g carboy bottle with a stopper and small vent to minimize air exposure I still get lots of settling on the bottom. Tank is 135g. Is this normal? Can I reuse the kalk that settles or do I need to clean the container out each time?
I leave the settlement on bottom of my limewater container and just add ro water back in when it starts getting low. I use 5 gallon trigger systems ato.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the settlement on bottom of my limewater container and just add ro water back in when it starts getting low. I use 5 gallon trigger systems ato.
Do you also add more kalk each time you refill the container? This is what I'm using. I originally tried using my open ATO reservoir but was concerned about the surface scum that formed.

Attachments

• IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 48

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solids on the bottom include magnesium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, and undissolved calcium hydroxide. If you are confident you’ve dissolved all of the calcium hydroxide, or all that you need, then I suggest ignoring the solids.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean out my 5 gallon bucket once or twice a year other than that I just had 4 gallons of settled saturated solution when needed.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solids on the bottom include magnesium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, and undissolved calcium hydroxide. If you are confident you’ve dissolved all of the calcium hydroxide, or all that you need, then I suggest ignoring the solids.
How do you recommend thoroughly mixing it without introducing too much air? My first attempt over a year ago I mixed it in a 5g bucket with a lot of aggitation then dumped it in my ATO which was at that time uncovered. I soon had a layer of scaly crud on the surface which led me to using the carboy container. At the current consumption rate that container won't even last long enough for me to be on a week vacation.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean out my 5 gallon bucket once or twice a year other than that I just had 4 gallons of settled saturated solution when needed.
"settled saturated solution"? Are you saying you mix it in another container before using it to top off your 5g bucket? Do yoy keep that bucket covered?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"settled saturated solution"? Are you saying you mix it in another container before using it to top off your 5g bucket? Do yoy keep that bucket covered?

Yes i mix in another bucket and let that sit for awhile i try for 24 hours but normally not that long mix in the morning and pour the clear liquid in my dosing container in the evening. I put a lid on the bucket but not air tight.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i mix in another bucket and let that sit for awhile i try for 24 hours but normally not that long mix in the morning and pour the clear liquid in my dosing container in the evening. I put a lid on the bucket but not air tight.
What's your reason for doing this? Is it to allow the extra undissolved kalk, contaminants and precipitates to settle out so you're not adding them to your dosing container?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite a jump, you'll need to keep your eye on Alkalinity until you stabilise your dose amount.
Well despite increasing from 2400 to 2800 three days ago I dropped from 8.1 to 7.9. Prior to that it dropped from 8.6 to 8.1 in four days while I was dosing 2400.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you recommend thoroughly mixing it without introducing too much air? My first attempt over a year ago I mixed it in a 5g bucket with a lot of aggitation then dumped it in my ATO which was at that time uncovered. I soon had a layer of scaly crud on the surface which led me to using the carboy container. At the current consumption rate that container won't even last long enough for me to be on a week vacation.

I would not worry too much about air getting in from a short mixing time. There’s no need to froth it, but stirring for 15 min will be fine.id cover whatever you store it in, but a trash can like lid is adequate.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I dose 7200m daily I use a 30 gallon brute container to store kalk and mix right in the container. I have a sponge on the pick up tube to act as a filter and keep the bottom of the tube off the bottom of the container little. I just dump kalk in add rodi and toss a powerhead in for a few minutes and call it done. I've been using kalk for several years and always get stuff settle on the bottom along with the hard film on top. Its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If stuff like settled solids or the skin on top really bother you that much your over thinking it or you have may have issues with neatness (just guessing not accusing) maybe switch to 2 part :thinking-face:

EDIT : when I first started using kalk on the current tank it took several weeks to get the amount dialed in. I would add doses of 2 part as needed until I finally got the correct amount of kalk figured out. Getting the correct amount figured out was not as simple as using the calculator for 2 part for me. It was more trial and error but now that it's dialed in correctly my alk is rock solid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkulator;

According to this calculator at 2800mls/day I was adding 4.77ppm/day and at 3600mls/day I'll be dosing 6.13ppm per day. Does this seem like a reasonable consumption rate for a young,(18mo), tank with tons of coralline but no SPS and minimal LPS?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this calculator at 2800mls/day I was adding 4.77ppm/day and at 3600mls/day I'll be dosing 6.13ppm per day. Does this seem like a reasonable consumption rate for a young,(18mo), tank with tons of coralline but no SPS and minimal LPS?
Don't see why not, it's certainly not ridiculous.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your reason for doing this? Is it to allow the extra undissolved kalk, contaminants and precipitates to settle out so you're not adding them to your dosing container?

Yes and it is easier for me.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I dose 7200m daily I use a 30 gallon brute container to store kalk and mix right in the container. I have a sponge on the pick up tube to act as a filter and keep the bottom of the tube off the bottom of the container little. I just dump kalk in add rodi and toss a powerhead in for a few minutes and call it done. I've been using kalk for several years and always get stuff settle on the bottom along with the hard film on top. Its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If stuff like settled solids or the skin on top really bother you that much your over thinking it or you have may have issues with neatness (just guessing not accusing) maybe switch to 2 part :thinking-face:

EDIT : when I first started using kalk on the current tank it took several weeks to get the amount dialed in. I would add doses of 2 part as needed until I finally got the correct amount of kalk figured out. Getting the correct amount figured out was not as simple as using the calculator for 2 part for me. It was more trial and error but now that it's dialed in correctly my alk is rock solid.
Alright, I admit it I've got a little OCD going on, especially when it comes to my reef lol!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you also add more kalk each time you refill the container? This is what I'm using. I originally tried using my open ATO reservoir but was concerned about the surface scum that formed.
Yes I add more and run a pump for about 10 minutes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back