Kalkwasser dosing using tank water

KvG

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am contemplating dosing kalkwasser and was wondering whether I can use a doser to pump tank water through a container with saturated kalkwasser which would then overflow into the return pump section of my sump. I see setups, where people use their ATO water to do the same, however, as I have the cade 1200 pro and the ATO, is gravity-fed, I don't have a dosing line from my ATO to my sump. Looking forward to your advice. Thanks from the Australian Gold Coast.
 
Hi,
I am contemplating dosing kalkwasser and was wondering whether I can use a doser to pump tank water through a container with saturated kalkwasser which would then overflow into the return pump section of my sump. I see setups, where people use their ATO water to do the same, however, as I have the cade 1200 pro and the ATO, is gravity-fed, I don't have a dosing line from my ATO to my sump. Looking forward to your advice. Thanks from the Australian Gold Coast.
Probably not. As the salt water passes through the high pH Kalkwasser it will precipitate all sorts of goodies from the water, primarily magnesium. You may just end up with a glob of stuff in your reactor. Do a test, and let us know.
 
Probably not. As the salt water passes through the high pH Kalkwasser it will precipitate all sorts of goodies from the water, primarily magnesium. You may just end up with a glob of stuff in your reactor. Do a test, and let us know.
Thank you. I will give this a go to see what happens.
 
Hi,
I am contemplating dosing kalkwasser and was wondering whether I can use a doser to pump tank water through a container with saturated kalkwasser which would then overflow into the return pump section of my sump. I see setups, where people use their ATO water to do the same, however, as I have the cade 1200 pro and the ATO, is gravity-fed, I don't have a dosing line from my ATO to my sump. Looking forward to your advice. Thanks from the Australian Gold Coast.
Per RHF this doesn’t work because of precipitation

It cannot be done without massive precipitation of magnesium hydroxide and calcium carbonate.
 

Attachments

  • 641419B1-ADEA-4A7F-8AA6-C1891B1C2915.jpeg
    641419B1-ADEA-4A7F-8AA6-C1891B1C2915.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 2EEB0232-3019-41A6-9146-FCE7F229DE98.jpeg
    2EEB0232-3019-41A6-9146-FCE7F229DE98.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 76
A photo before I tip it down the sink, @ 10 minutes;
 

Attachments

  • DDEBEE3C-BB70-43A3-B185-DB8A948D680E.jpeg
    DDEBEE3C-BB70-43A3-B185-DB8A948D680E.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 109
A photo before I tip it down the sink, @ 10 minutes;
So that's tank water which you've poured into a glass with saturated kalkwasser... wow, let's not put that in place. Thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new