Kalkwasser help!

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me how much Kalkwasser I’m supposed to use. I have all of my levels where I want them and have been dosing 2 part. Wanting to switch to Kalk in my ato but can’t find any directions.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 1/1.5 tablespoon per gallon and it has keeped my levels in check for a year.
I just top off with it.

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Started with 5 tbl spoons and it was too much. Check alk three times a day to see the levels. It is nerve racking for the first batch. Good luck

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it on brs website and it states to start with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I just used 2 1/2 teaspoons for my 5 gallons ato

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Just remember, that stuff accumulates on the bottoms of water ever you mix it.

1. Mix well

2. Don’t let the ATO pump get so low it is taking the high density water at the bottom.

3 empty ATO jug, every time you refill it and make the mistake I did by just adding more mixed water. End result, steady increase of alk

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all do about all the stuff that accumulates in the bottom of the ato container?
i use a rigid tube and keep it about 1/2" from the bottom and just toss that when i switch containers. i make the new batch at least a day before needing to swap to give it time to settle

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all do about all the stuff that accumulates in the bottom of the ato container?

I do a quick rinse with R.O water every week when i refill it.

If you mean during the week? Just make sure the pump isnt sucking from the bottom of the container. I use eggcrate ziptied to the pump to keep it about 3 inches off the bottom .

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean like this week has wen by and it’s time to refill. Do I leave all the stuff in the bottom of my ato and refill it with my new ro and Kalk mix And just keep letting it build up in my ato?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean like this week has wen by and it’s time to refill. Do I leave all the stuff in the bottom of my ato and refill it with my new ro and Kalk mix And just keep letting it build up in my ato?

I've heard of people doing both, I normally toss out what is ever left in my container (usually less than 1/2 gallon) and do a quick RODI rinse and refill.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO pump sits about 2"-3" from the bottom. I use 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon. The calcium hydroxide precipitate that ends up in the bottom, stays there and is sucked out once a month, at least for me. I don't stir the sediment, just dose the clear affluent into my system.

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always look at a kalk reactor.i have never used one, but on came with my new to me set up- I plan on connecting and dosing from my apex for more precise dosing, but they can run via ATO pump and always have saturated limewater. You set them to mix the kalk that settles out to the bottom.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Kalk ? Ok I am up to 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon and my alk is stil dropping from 9.0dkh to 8.9 dkh daily. Should I ride this out and see what happens? Or should I up the Kalk to 2 teaspoons per gallon?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its consistently dropping .1 a day over a whole week, i would go ahead and up it to 1 3/4 tsp per gal and continue checking every day.

just my opinion

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything over 2 teaspoons won't dissolve in a gallon of water and will just be wasted. I agree with upping it and checking it to see the results.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have raised my Kalk to2 teaspoons per gallon and alk is still dropping after 1 1/2 more weeks. Does this mean Kalk isn’t for me and my tank?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back