Kalkwasser help!

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by Chiefmaster30, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Jeepguy242

Jeepguy242 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

been a long time since i mixed kalk.. i was almost positive i was using tablespoons (and heaping ones too) before i switched to a reactor.... now i just put a cup in the reactor every few weeks...

OP should consider getting a reactor... less hassle

Chiefmaster30 likes this.

2. rkpetersen

rkpetersen Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

2 teaspoons per gallon is the maximum solubility of kalk in water, but to keep the solution saturated, there should always be some undissolved kalk on the bottom of the container.

If your evaporation rate is low and you have a fair amount of stony corals, kalk in top off water likely won't do the job alone.

This is exactly what I did. I tried putting kalk right in the ATO reservoir at first. This becomes really messy really fast, with calcium carbonate forming a crust on the water surface, then collapsing and floating down toward the bottom. I also had concerns about premature pump failure and clogging of the anti-siphon valve, either of which would be bad news.

So I got the TLF KW300 kalk reactor. It has no electrical stirrer; it stirs whenever water is being pumped through it, keeping the solution saturated. I hooked it up to my Apex and ATK. It doses kalk for 10 seconds every 30 minutes, which is slightly higher than my evaporation rate, with limits set by the ATK optical sensors. I also put a solenoid in the line to act as protection against a pump malfunction or siphon.

You know, I really expected my pH to rise when I started dosing kalk too. And it did, briefly, but then came back down to the previous range. It has allowed me to cut back on my two part use somewhat, but I was really hoping to see some persistent pH rise as well. ;Meh

3. rkpetersen

Update: Just got a CO2 meter yesterday. Indoor reads high, around 600. This accounts entirely for my tank pH being persistently 0.2 units lower than I'd like it to be. Sadly, ato kalk isn't going to overcome that.

4. Bryn

Bryn Active Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember

5. hoppy

hoppy Member

Can you run a fresh air line to outside? I have one connected to intake of my skimmer.

6. Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30 Valuable Member

I could probably make that happen!

7. rkpetersen

This one. It's not necessarily the best, but it suits my specific purposes; namely, a fairly attractive and low profile unit that I can set up permanently on an end table in our family room near the aquarium, without my wife objecting. :)

Although in all seriousness, it's easy to use as a portable unit as well. Just connect it to a cell phone battery pack. Outside on the chilly deck in back of my house, it reads 350.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. rkpetersen

As for me, this wouldn't be easy, but I may have to figure something out. Or start CO2 scrubbing, which is a hassle and expensive.

9. Bryn

Bryn Active Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember

Draft saved Draft deleted