OP
J

jackfish520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use my X1 to dose kalk 12 time a day. I am dosing 90ml on my 21g tank that only has 10 smaller frags but i only mixed my solution to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. It has been holding me perfect for a while now at 8.3dkh and calcium is 450
I was hoping it would help raise PH but even dosing that much my ph doesnt move even .1point at all from the kalk and the amount I dose. My PH runs the same course from day to night from when I was using all for reef to kalk.
Thanks for your response! Are you glad you switched from all for reef to kalk? And just to clarify, are you dosing 90ml total per day or per dose? I think I will start dosing close to the amount you're doing and test daily until I dial it in. What is your ph at right now?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going down the kalkwasser rabbit hole and it seems to be the better solution for ca and alk dosing needs. I'm learning that ph is such a huge determinant in coral growth and ph is actually on a logarithmic scale so a ph of 7 is actually 10 times more acidic than a ph of 8. I'm currently around 7.8 which is much lower than natural seawater (avg 8.1). Doesnt seem like a big difference, but from what people are saying, low ph is a major issue and reason for minimal coral growth. This video explains it much better than I can:

pH is not such a big deal in terms of coral growth no matter how many influencers out there push products to push up pH.

All you need is 7-8 - 8.2 and if everything else is dialled in the coral will grow as fast as you wish.

OP
OP
J

jackfish520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is not such a big deal in terms of coral growth no matter how many influencers out there push products to push up pH.

All you need is 7-8 - 8.2 and if everything else is dialled in the coral will grow as fast as you wish.
Appreciate your feedback. I try to take everything w a grain of salt online, but ph is the one parameter I've neglected and am eager to stabilize and see the results.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your response! Are you glad you switched from all for reef to kalk? And just to clarify, are you dosing 90ml total per day or per dose? I think I will start dosing close to the amount you're doing and test daily until I dial it in. What is your ph at right now?
90ml total over the 12 doses. so i think its 7.5ml per dose.
I had no issues with all for reef but since I only had one doser and was trying to get my PH a little higher is why I switched it kalk. I might makeup my next batch with 1tsp per gallon and instead of 12 doses maybe 3-4 over night so it loads in a bunch more and hopefully that will increase PH some
My ph is like 7.82 by morning and usually gets up to around 8.15 by evening. Thats what my probe says atleast.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many will disagree with this stance. A higher pH will increase growth but more than that keeping the lows away from 7.8 helps more with long term stability.

OP
OP
J

jackfish520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going down the kalkwasser rabbit hole and it seems to be the better solution for ca and alk dosing needs. I'm learning that ph is such a huge determinant in coral growth and ph is actually on a logarithmic scale so a ph of 7 is actually 10 times more acidic than a ph of 8. I'm currently around 7.8 which is much lower than natural seawater (avg 8.1). Doesnt seem like a big difference, but from what people are saying, low ph is a major issue and reason for minimal coral growth. This video explains it much better than I can:

***Correction, a ph of 7 is actually 100 times more acidic than a ph of 8.

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use my X1 to dose kalk 12 time a day. I am dosing 90ml on my 21g tank that only has 10 smaller frags but i only mixed my solution to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. It has been holding me perfect for a while now at 8.3dkh and calcium is 450
I was hoping it would help raise PH but even dosing that much my ph doesnt move even .1point at all from the kalk and the amount I dose. My PH runs the same course from day to night from when I was using all for reef to kalk.
The pH could be competing with cal for alkalinity have you noticed any calcium precipitate?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back