Kalkwasser price increase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to order Kalkwasser yesterday and noticed the new bags available.

A 2lb bag is 300% more money than the old 1/2 gallon (2.25lb) container version. $27 vs $9.

What’s going on with the pricing? That’s a pretty drastic price increase.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new packaging must be very expensive! I do see they still have the 1/2 and 1 gallon containers still available.

badfinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the "old" bulk kalk for the same price.

They added a "new" bagged non-bulk kalkwasser section it looks like

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, everyone! Looks like you have stumbled upon some very exciting news we have forthcoming ;)

More in depth information on this coming very shortly also, but here's the short answer; the old and new kalkwasser are actually not an apples to apples comparison - it's a brand new product!

We recently upgraded a number of our chemicals so that our entire line is now made using pharmaceutical grade ingredients; this included the calcium hydroxide, sodium carbonate and magnesium sulfate. A new notables on the calcium hydroxide:
  • The new chemical is more dense, meaning you can use less product by volume, and
  • Higher purity by a notable degree, having lower impurity levels of magnesium and alkali salts, arsenic (almost 1/8th compared to others), lead, aluminum (1ppm vs 1500ppm), and silicon, among others.
@randyBRS has a product spotlight video slated for Wednesday this week on Kalkwasser - I'll post it here once it's live.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, everyone! Looks like you have stumbled upon some very exciting news we have forthcoming ;)

More in depth information on this coming very shortly also, but here's the short answer; the old and new kalkwasser are actually not an apples to apples comparison - it's a brand new product!

We recently upgraded a number of our chemicals so that our entire line is now made using pharmaceutical grade ingredients; this included the calcium hydroxide, sodium carbonate and magnesium sulfate. A new notables on the calcium hydroxide:
  • The new chemical is more dense, meaning you can use less product by volume, and
  • Higher purity by a notable degree, having lower impurity levels of magnesium and alkali salts, arsenic (almost 1/8th compared to others), lead, aluminum (1ppm vs 1500ppm), and silicon, among others.
@randyBRS has a product spotlight video slated for Wednesday this week on Kalkwasser - I'll post it here once it's live.

Wow, that is exciting news! I've often wondered how I could get my hands on some higher purity Kalk at thrice the price of the normal stuff that has worked fine for decades.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, FIRST of all - thank you to @dimo for creating this thread and asking about the change. I responded earlier knowing there was a price increase, but didn't actually review our site and you were right; that was a bit drastic. :eek: I just updated the pricing on the kalkwasser which was not entered correctly previously and did a double, triple check of our other new chems to make sure we have everything ready to go. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kalkwasser-calcium-hydroxide-bulk-reef-supply.html

Of course, there is a price increase but when it comes to the cost per dose, it's honestly pocket change and for the drastic increase in quality - we feel like it's 100% worth it. I think once you all are able to get your hands on it, you'll agree, too.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping the upcoming video on Wednesday sheds some light on the purported benefits of this new product. According to Randy Holmes-Farley, many of the impurities in calcium hydroxide precipitate out of solution and are not added to the aquarium anyway. Food-grade calcium hydroxide, in addition to being relatively pure and having good availability, is much cheaper than the new "premium" kalkwasser, even after the price correction.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing only different...Chems, I was mixing 3 parts yesterday for the first time and mag & alk are having trouble to completely dissolve, is that norm to have a little residual (2 oz) and will the new grade of chems
mix more better.
images

OP
OP
D

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing only different...Chems, I was mixing 3 parts yesterday for the first time and mag & alk are having trouble to completely dissolve, is that norm to have a little residual (2 oz) and will the new grade of chems
mix more better.

I use their 2 part stuff. Mag took me like 2 days to fully clear up. It’s simply a ton of salt that needs to dissolve and takes a while. I just shook it a few times throughout each day.

The alk needs to be done it a separate open top container so you can stir while adding salt. Or it will clump up. A warm water bath for an hour will clear up the clumps if needed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back