Kalkwasser reservoir - would this work?

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Auqa Gadget 5 Gallon Hydrofill Reservoir

Would something like the above work as a kalkwasser reservoir? It is not completely sealed - there's a roughly 8x4 inch hole on the back for the "drawer" and to add equipment.
If not, any suggestions? Looking for something 5 gallons and cube/rectangular-shaped. Standard 5 gallon bucket is just a bit too large for the area.

I have the above reservoir from a previous tank.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homedepot bucket with two holes in the lid.

One for dosing and the other for a airline check

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my Kalk reservoir, I use one of the 5 gallon food storage containers that you see in restaurants. Mainly because I wanted food grade and something clear so I can see the level. I got it at a Costco business center, 2 for like $25

I wish I got a pet food container so I didn't have to make new batches as often. I use this one for my ATO reservoir and it's perfect.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, it would work but how are you going to stir the kalk? Manually?
Tell me a little about this if you would... I'm not familiar with how a kalk stirrer works.

Previously I had a nano where I mixed a gallon jug for a minute or two. I'm now reading some posts where Dr. RHF talks about mixing it for 15 minutes.

Do you think manually mixing 5 gallons each weekend would be an issue?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me a little about this if you would... I'm not familiar with how a kalk stirrer works.

Previously I had a nano where I mixed a gallon jug for a minute or two. I'm now reading some posts where Dr. RHF talks about mixing it for 15 minutes.

Do you think manually mixing 5 gallons each weekend would be an issue?
No, if that's what you're willing to do going in, I don't see a problem.
The benefit of the kalk stirrer is that you add some kalk to it and it slowly doses the kalk for you in a manner that isn't causing any spikes while you do better things with your time. But again, if you're fine with that, there is no issue.
I used to do that too. It's just a pain at times.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these dog food containers. The 25lb (12x12x13.25) one holds 5g (ATO) and the 35lb (12x12x16.75) one holds about 7g (Kalk). I drilled a hole in one of the top corners for the lines and one at the bottom for a horizontal float switch to notify when it needs filled.

The kalk will last a couple of weeks before I need to refill and add kalk. I stir it for a few minutes and then don't touch it again until I need to fill.

1699618051059.png

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if that's what you're willing to do going in, I don't see a problem.
The benefit of the kalk stirrer is that you add some kalk to it and it slowly doses the kalk for you in a manner that isn't causing any spikes while you do better things with your time. But again, if you're fine with that, there is no issue.
I used to do that too. It's just a pain at times.
I don't understand how a stirrer has anything to do with dosing...

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Auqa Gadget 5 Gallon Hydrofill Reservoir

Would something like the above work as a kalkwasser reservoir? It is not completely sealed - there's a roughly 8x4 inch hole on the back for the "drawer" and to add equipment.
If not, any suggestions? Looking for something 5 gallons and cube/rectangular-shaped. Standard 5 gallon bucket is just a bit too large for the area.

I have the above reservoir from a previous tank.

Kalk holds better in a sealed container, but if you're going to go through that in less than a week I don't see why not
You don't necessarily need a sealed container.
The Kalk will form a skin on top and that will keep evaporation at bay(if that is what you meant).
Kalk "keeps" in any container.

As also said, keep the pump off the floor of your container or the slurry will make quick work off the pump.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was doing Kalk, I made a bottom rack out of two pieces of the 1/4” light grid, to keep the pump off of the slurry. It was still hard on the 12 volt pumps, though.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you all mixing your kalk for? I was just shaking for a minute all this time, but now I'm reading of others mixing for 15 minutes. Is that common practice?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back