Kalk dosing setup for SPS TANK

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to setup kalkwasser dosing setup for my roughly 600 gallon stony system. Kirk thought an Ecotech dosing pump and some type of controller would work with a reservoir with a kalkwasser slurry. Looking for feedback on what dosing pump, controller and reservoir to buy. I don’t have much space and think an 18”x18” x30” tall container on wheels might work for the reservoir.

I’d need some pointers on how much kalkwasser to add, do I run a continuous powerhead in the reservoir, etc. Thanks for any help.

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HMU and let’s schedule a time for you to come by my place and I’ll show you exactly how I have mine set up. I’ve been running 4% Kalk slurry for the last 18 months.
IMG_0713.jpeg

Cheers,

Matt

OP
OP
Ultraman

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Kirk told me you had things down and I was hoping you’d chime in. My ph is typically 7.7-8.0 most days. Plenty of fresh air intake, but running calcium reactor and sulfur denitrator which bring my ph down. My sps growth just doesn’t happen.

OP
OP
Ultraman

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a ph controller that’ll turn on/off my peristalsis pump:

Here is the container that will fit in my space:

OP
OP
Ultraman

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t have a controller except me. My chronically low ph I think is why I’m not seeing growth.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a ph controller that’ll turn on/off my peristalsis pump:

Here is the container that will fit in my space:

What do you plan on using to keep the solution a slurry? That seems like a big container for kalk slurry.

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any reason you are leaning towards slurry?
Come check out my kalk slurry rig. It's very simple to run, the material is dirt cheap, and because it is tied to maintaining a constant pH it will automatically compensate for growth.

Cheers,

Matt

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come check out my kalk slurry rig. It's very simple to run, the material is dirt cheap, and because it is tied to maintaining a constant pH it will automatically compensate for growth.

Cheers,

Matt
I only ask because in my experience, stirring or slurry is not necessary and only leads to variable ph of the kalk. I find that simple kalk effluent water is as stable as they come, and without a controller, I would highly recommend using that in place of a slurry.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do effluent, but I found it hard to maintain the concentration of the kalkwasser in the effluent, as the initial mix had a high concentration, but then the precipitate got harder and harder to dissolve with each stir. I frequently ended up with huge amounts of precipitate over time when I tried to do effluent only. This is why I went to to using slurry, but maybe you have a better approach?

My setup was just a kalk stirrer that slowly stirred the precipitate, but I noticed my effluent ph would drop over time, until it was basically just pouring water into my tank to maintain the set minimum ph...

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ask because in my experience, stirring or slurry is not necessary and only leads to variable ph of the kalk. I find that simple kalk effluent water is as stable as they come, and without a controller, I would highly recommend using that in place of a slu
I'm accepting of criticism. If there's a potential failure point, deficiency in my system, or error in my methods please come over and point them out to me. :D

What I can tell you is that with my pH pegged at 8.3, growth has taken off and my alk settles in around 9.3-7. It may rise in the winter and with a household of guests, but that hasn't affected the tank in any way that I can notice. My system is going through 1.5 gallons of 4% w/v kalk slurry in two weeks.

IMG_1138.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg

Cheers,

Matt

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not criticism at all. If it works, the proof is in the pudding. Couple things to note, just as our aquariums PH is vunerable to co2, so is kalwasser. Two ways to counter this is to put fresh kalkwasser in a ziplock and push all the air out before sealing each time. Also keeping your kalk vessel closed will also limit exposure to co2. Kalkwasser is not 100% soluble. Even if you are stirring it or mixing it as a slurry, you are simply stirring the insoluble elements in it. With time it will become less effective. So regardless of the method, the dosing vessel will have to be cleaned out, there is no other way to remove the insolubles. The stirring and slurry is just masking what is actually there. Here is my PH chart using only effluent on a controller.
IMG_4888.jpeg

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note, I have been tinkering with it recently, so the numbers are a bit wonky.

Chris Wood from Captiva8 and Chris Meckley from ACI Aquaculture are my mentors on kalkwasser. I will find a couple good videos for you to watch.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mjcoussens what do you mean “My system is going through 1.5 gallons of 4% w/v kalk slurry in two weeks.” what is 4%w/v?
I am dosing a semi slurry in my tank but thinking of moving my drip line. I use an aqualifter to deliver the kalk. I had it coming out near my drain line but I don’t think there is enough water flow from the drain. I’m not sure, so I thought about dripping it into the main tank near an mp40.
Where do you drip yours at? I have about 5 cups of kalk added to my 30 gallon brute.

Corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back