Kalk dosing setup for SPS TANK

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4%w/v is 4% kalk in gram weight to volume in Liters. so, 3.7L per us gallon. For easy math let's go with 4L.
-One Liter of water weighs 1000grams.
-4% of that value is 40 grams.
-Each "gallon" of water added to the slurry bucket is followed up with 160 grams of calcium hydroxide. This is roughly one cup.

There's no need for precision here because dosing is controlled by tank pH level. When pH drops to 8.28, my Kamoer X1 Pro T turns on and pumps that slurry into the intake side of a 1500L/h pump placed in my sump to disperse the calcium hydroxide rapidly.

This system auto-adjusts for changes in alk consumption and slurry strength.

Cheers,

Matt

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, so you add 1 cup per gallon about? I guess I don’t have anywhere near a slurry!! Haha
Do you have any issues with the kalk precipitation on the pump. It locked up my skimmer pump I believe. Then I switched it to in front of my drain line, but I wasn’t sure if that was enough either.

Corey

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, so you add 1 cup per gallon about? I guess I don’t have anywhere near a slurry!! Haha
Do you have any issues with the kalk precipitation on the pump. It locked up my skimmer pump I believe. Then I switched it to in front of my drain line, but I wasn’t sure if that was enough either.

Corey
Yes, about 1 cup per gallon. The mixing pump runs just fine to keep the slurry suspended. As I stated previously, the kalk slurry is not dripped into the tank. It is pumped in at 20mL/minute into the intake end of a 1500L/hour DC pump that I have located in the sump expressly for this purpose. This pump mixes the saturated kalk solution with tank water very quickly. There's been no kalk build-up anywhere beyond where it is supposed to be: in the coral skeleton.

Cheers,

Matt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back