Kalkwasser vs 2-part dosing vs dosing Kalkwasser

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reef has been running for about 3 months now. Everything is going pretty well. I have to be honest, the manual dosing is kind of getting old so I am looking for a more automated method.

I have considered putting Kalkwasser in my ATO, but the only thing that steers me away from that is that I don't use a chiller. I have a fan in the summer so I would be using more water from the ATO which would cause more dosing.

That brings us to a 4 way doser. I can dose alk and calcium independently. Channels 3 and 4 would probably be mag and KPO3. This will let me tailor the dosage to what is needed. Calcium and alk don't necessarily get used up at the same rate.

The third option is dosing Kalkwasser with the dosing pumps. This would remove the uneven ATO usage, but still has the issue if the chemicals don't get used up at the same rate.

I'm leaning towards the dosing pumps. What do you think?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From what ive gathered over the years using kalk- with a average tank evaporation, fully saturated, will usually feed about .5 to .8 dkh (calcium to match). I run fans in the summer over my sump just for redundancy, and is the reason why I started dosing it. If your adding 20% or higher to your typical daily evaporation, then maybe it would be smart to invest in some dosing pumps. But if your only evaporating lets say an extra pint over your daily gallon, I wouldn't worry. You can always correct it by adding less kalk to your top off. Kalk is one of those additives that takes a long time(and a large amount) to make changes. It's important to frequently test to see where it lands you.

If your alk consumption is less then 1.0 dkh, I'd look into just using kalk. Can always make the corrections once a week if your kalk usage barely makes the cut.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d look at this.
What method is the easiest?
How much will is cost?

jonathan9573

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully I would go with the doser. I am a true fan of controllability. I have my tank in my basement my evaporation rate very quite a bit from season to season and with a doser you know exactly how much is going in, with your ato you would have to adjust from season to season.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in the ATO is what I would do. Just set your ATO up with a good mix once a week and forget about it. Then you can just slightly lower your kalk amount during higher evap months.

And its the cheapest.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in the ATO is what I would do. Just set your ATO up with a good mix once a week and forget about it. Then you can just slightly lower your kalk amount during higher evap months.

And its the cheapest.
Does Kalkwasser clog the ato pump? Will it cause buildup in my ato system?

jonathan9573

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get build up. I do a two container system. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I mix the kalk in and let it settle then I have that plumbed to another 5 gallon bucket that I drain the top liquid into. Then that is dosed into my tank

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Kalkwasser clog the ato pump? Will it cause buildup in my ato system?

It will shorten the lifespan of the pump if you don't perform regular maintenance on it. (Run it in a bucket of vinegar every 3 months ish)

It will leave some buildup on the bottom of your ato container also easily remedied by maintenance.

Also, Yeah a lot of people drip dose Kalk into a system.

jonathan9573

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose just kalk as long as it will support your system. You can only dose at the max your amount of evaporation or your water level will rise. Obviously very slowly and you would also be adding more ro/di water then the evap rate which will slowly change the salinity.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dozing kalk and still dialing in but start small 1/2 tsp/gallon and adjust. I test about every 3 days and adjust my refill accordingly. I have two 2 1/2 g containers that I mix daily. One sits and settles while the other is the ato. Just swap them out nightly and mix more.
2 things: my float on my ATK clogged after a month which prevented flow. Cleaned now good Also had the hobby old a stand which I attached to bottom of pmup so it doesn’t suck up precipitation. Also when I swap out I make sure pmup is primed by turning on ato for a second.
Good luck. Love kalk solution. Quick easy and painless

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back