Kalkwasser, why do people always go to two part first?

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I feel like the main narrative nowadays is that if you need to dose just use two part, but the majority of tanks can get by with just dosing kalkwasser solution. On top of that, I have seen major increases in sps growth while using kalkwasser (mainly due to the ph increase). I understand that sps dominated systems will still in up needing to dose two part on top or add a calcium reactor, but I feel like everyone should be ultilizing kalkasser.
What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
matt_work27

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, two part is wayyyyyyyyyy more expensive compared to kalkwasser

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is '2-part' ;). In nearly 40 years of reef keeping, I've only used Kalkwasser.

I think the draw to 2-part is the ease of use which is especially good for newbies. Kalkwasser requires a bit of processing to get a clear saturated solution and can be a hazard if not handled properly.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested. I have been dosing AFR for a while. I also dose alkalin8.3 to maintain alkalinity if it dips. I want to get into kalk and Im using an avast ATO with pressure sensor. Im interested in transferring over to Kalk. Is there a baby step way of getting into this. FYI I am not trying to highjack the thread haha, sorry.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blame ATOs. The predominant way of delivering limewater in this hobby is using ATOs. ATOs are terrible dosers. When they eventually malfunction and deliver too much limewater to the tank, everything dies. It never goes down as "I was using a bad doser [the ATO] to deliver a critical, pH-altering supplement" it goes down as "kalkwasser killed my tank!"

I run limewater on a dosing pump. 25mL every 10 minutes. Works like a charm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I feel like the main narrative nowadays is that if you need to dose just use two part, but the majority of tanks can get by with just dosing kalkwasser solution. On top of that, I have seen major increases in sps growth while using kalkwasser (mainly due to the ph increase). I understand that sps dominated systems will still in up needing to dose two part on top or add a calcium reactor, but I feel like everyone should be ultilizing kalkasser.
What are your thoughts?

Two parts can give the same pH boost and are also cost effective if you diy.

They also allow adjustments to calcium and alk, and as you note, much higher daily amounts dosed.

OP
OP
matt_work27

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blame ATOs. The predominant way of delivering limewater in this hobby is using ATOs. ATOs are terrible dosers. When they eventually malfunction and deliver too much limewater to the tank, everything dies. It never goes down as "I was using a bad doser [the ATO] to deliver a critical, pH-altering supplement" it goes down as "kalkwasser killed my tank!"

I use two brs 1.1 dosing heads. One drips all day and the other only a quarter

OP
OP
matt_work27

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two parts can give the same pH boost and are also cost effective if you diy.

They also allow adjustments to calcium and alk, and as you note, much higher daily amounts dosed.
The most advanced and savvy reefer will use diy two part. The majority of people who use two part are spending a lot more than if they dosed kalk alone or kalk plus two part. I dont think that is super fair to say

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer maxing out kalk, I then use a calcium reactor on a very low rate.

ESV B-ionic can grow amazing tanks but I only use balanced two parts myself.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This.

Did my fair share of dripping kalk out of a glass wine jug, modified chicken water ato back in the day. It worked like a charm, grew coralline like crazy, eventually I did have to boost the alk with a supplement.

I tried ESV bionic 2 part back ten years ago when all my club members suggested it. I went back to kalk. You still have be careful, just give the tank a taste of it. I use a BRS 1.1 lpm dosing pump hooked to a light timer set to drip every 15 minutes for 5 minutes. I've actually started to add my mag into my ato for weekly delivery.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most advanced and savvy reefer will use diy two part. The majority of people who use two part are spending a lot more than if they dosed kalk alone or kalk plus two part. I dont think that is super fair to say

The majority of reefers buy all sorts of useless products or misleading products or harmful products at the lfs.

Becoming knowledgeable about the pros and cons of every product we use is an important aspect of reefkeeping.

I don’t put two parts in that category, except a few that are mis-designed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use 2 part because it’s what I have been using for years and it’s what I am comfortable using. I do diy so it isn’t expensive and my alk part is partially sodium hydroxide so I get the pH boost that I want also.

I guess the only disadvantage I can think of to 2 part is that it does require two dosing heads if you’re not dosing manually.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For me personally I can dose less 2 part than kalkwasser. Also less room I have to find for my containers. Although I have noticed better growth from kalk.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two part and dosed it for many years but recently I added kalk on a doser for the sole reason of pH and hopefully improved growth, and honestly it was annoying refilling my two part containers so often. Using fully saturated kalk has reduced my dosing by about 35-40% I would say, which is nice. It's a little cheaper and a little less maintenance.

OP
OP
matt_work27

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that is good to know on diy two part. Where do you guys get your compounds and from where? Maybe need it in the future

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two part and dosed it for many years but recently I added kalk on a doser for the sole reason of pH and hopefully improved growth, and honestly it was annoying refilling my two part containers so often. Using fully saturated kalk has reduced my dosing by about 35-40% I would say, which is nice. It's a little cheaper and a little less maintenance.
If you use sodium hydroxide for the alk part you can use 2 part and still get the same pH boost as kalk. I actually mix my sodium carbonate and sodium hydroxide solution to get my pH exactly where I want it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use sodium hydroxide for the alk part you can use 2 part and still get the same pH boost as kalk. I actually mix my sodium carbonate and sodium hydroxide solution to get my pH exactly where I want it.

Yeah I know, but I am happy with the dosing products I am using. I might experiment further in the future.

OP
OP
matt_work27

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many tablespoons per gallon?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back