Kalkwasser

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been discussed a lot . But I have tried several ways to increase pH in my tank and they just don’t work. (Co2 scrubber, refugium, increased water movement) and nothing works.

Kalkwasser seems to do the trick, but since its on the ATO, its inconsistent and water evaporations depends on when AC is on or off. I’ve seems spikes of pH by .10 when ATO turns on. Is this too much? Should I reduce the amount of Kalkwasser? Should I get a slower pump?

When I say low pH I am saying 7.50 in the morning. Sometimes 7.4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A.Percula

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. What are some of the high pH additives? And how much of a jump is considered risky, .50?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium carbonate or “soda ash” is a common alkalinity replacement in 2 part that has a high pH. There is also a sodium hydroxide version that I have never tried.

I would consider at 0.5 pH unit quick rise as too much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. What are some of the high pH additives? And how much of a jump is considered risky, .50?

You can make a two part with sodium hydroxide that has equal pH raising per unit of alk as does limewater (kalkwasser):

How much is OK may depend on the starting pH. I wouldn't prefer to see more than 0.2 pH units, but that's an opinion without much supporting evidence.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in an ATO is supposed to temper the pH drop of adding R/O or distilled fresh water to a tank. In that role I find it a bit of a pain because it's one more thing to mix and monitor and if your dosing pump ever fouls up an over dose of kalk really screws things up. You need to, IMO, have a lot of top off via volume to make it worth it and have a need for a pH boost for kalk in the first place. The calcium and alk boost kalk provides is nice, but kind of trivial if your tank consumes a fair amount of either.

One suggestion is to only run top offs with kalk at night when you typically need the pH boost.

I've manually added kalk on some stubborn tanks during the winter when I can't get enough fresh air. Just like baking soda dosing I fill some tank water in a quart juice jug, add the kalk, shake it for a few minutes, then add it back. up to 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons has never given me issues. Above that and it seems precipitation starts to creep in. I've seen some nasty kalk induced precipitation events in my career and it takes a pretty severe pH jump to bug corals. Dropping pH is more of an issue for SPS.

I really have to question a pH reading of 7.4 because the only times I've seen pH legitimately that low is when a reactor isn't tuned right and dumping too much Co2 in the tank.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you tried everything, but have you tried hooking up a hose to your skimmer inlet and routing it outside?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in an ATO is supposed to temper the pH drop of adding R/O or distilled fresh water to a tank.

FWIW, that is chemically incorrect. People may think it, but then they are doing a reasonable thing for a wrong reason.

Adding totally pure fresh water at pH 7.0 to tank water at pH 8.0 results in a pH rise, not a drop. Counter intuitive, but true. There is no need to temper anything. It is just a convenient way to dose calcium and alkalinity, and raise pH as well.

I show why here:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have to question a pH reading of 7.4 because the only times I've seen pH legitimately that low is when a reactor isn't tuned right and dumping too much Co2 in the tank.

I agree that pH 7.4-7.5 is almost certainly test error.

OP
OP
A.Percula

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that pH 7.4-7.5 is almost certainly test error.
I tested with Hanna pH probe and now with Apex (both calibrated with two point solution). That’s why I got scared, I thought it was a test error two, but Apex then showed same results.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back