Kalkwasser

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using a kalk stirrer from Avast since they were called Grey Seas. Very happy with the results and build quality. The best part is I can order replacement parts directly from them if something needs to be replaced.
Same.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I top off using my tunze I have a 20 gallon resevoir I have a kamoer x1 pro 2 pump was thinking of using that with either a 5 gallon bucket or just getting a reactor just wouldn’t know how much to mix or dose

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon aquarium with a $30 magnetic stir plate under it. You need a way to lift the aquarium off the floor a couple inches so that the magnet spins. Apex turns on stirring for a few minutes twice a day then turns off. Versa pumps kalk into the tank and ATO switch in the 10 gallon keeps kalk tank full all the time. Easy to refill and maintain, reactor not needed. budget friendly. most of the cost is the dosing pump.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I top off using my tunze I have a 20 gallon resevoir I have a kamoer x1 pro 2 pump was thinking of using that with either a 5 gallon bucket or just getting a reactor just wouldn’t know how much to mix or dose
If you got a reactor you just add a whole cup at a time and dose based on your need. Follow what I suggested earlier to figure out your demand. For each 1.25% of your system volume kalk adds around 1.4 dKH. That's the rule I go by. You adjust the volume dosed by your daily demand based on that. Whatever volume you dose has to be less than your daily evaporation rate of course.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to use kalkwasser debating between getting a reactor or using a pump

I prefer dosing limewater (kalkwasser) from a settled reservoir.

It allows settling of insoluble impurities, is easy to control potency, and only took me about 10 minutes once every 1-2 months to make up a large batch stored in 3 x 44 gallon brute cans plumbed together.

You can also more easily add vinegar to it to boost potency, if you so desire (I never did).

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had the space for it wife will kill me if Tried to put one In The living room already have one in the kitchen for my ro I’m gonna have to think of something already have a perilistic pump just need to get some type of container big enough so I do not have to worry about refilling it as. Much guess I’ll figure it out

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kalk as shown here. I target 140 to 150 ppm Alkalinity and can dial it in as precise as my Hanna Checker can do. I test daily at 9:00 right when lights go out as demand keeps increasing.

I prefer way it is set up here using a 50 ml/ min doser and OSC function. Currently it is set at on Apex Timer as 000:00 / 002:00 / 062:00 which equals about 2.3 liters a day. I find this works well and keeps a very stable 8.1 to 8.3 daily swings. I estimate 1% of dosage as BRS Magnesium mix for general adjustments and it lasts a very long time. Mg is tested only monthly at this point.

pH probe will cut off dosing too if ph gets over 8.4. I typically max out at 8.29 daily.

The current set up has little chance of fouling pumps as it only mixes in Kalk stirrer that has an open top. Main risk is using too much so it is limited by current 5 gallon jug volume. The only pump is dosing as shown and I have a spare and replacement tubing. I would not drip or auto top of in any circustances on an SPS tank. I am going as far as I can before starting a calcium reatcor,

I really should secure kalk stirrer better and cover batteries.

Kalk.jpg

If everything is limited in space, ESV 2 part is a good option also. Many long time aquarists swear by Kalk for growing SPS. Other are afraid of controlling it well. I find coralline and SPS do take off faster this way and rather cheap to use additive wise. There is great video on chasing pH on youtube reefbum channel! I do not like the video title but like concept. SPS growth can stall at 7.8 pH, while raising it will stress a small few.

Last edited:

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to use kalkwasser debating between getting a reactor or using a pump
A dose with a large jug. Use it as top off if the evaporation is enough or if evaporateion is too much mix top off with kalk. My evaporation is not too much which caused my Alk to get to 13.8. So I have to cut back on kalk dosing

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u are using a kal reactor with a pump or your auto top pump
I've done both...I advise not to dose though your auto top off, almost always you'll end up overdosing at some point unless you have crazy high alk demand. What will end up happening is you'll just get abiotic precipitation (sand clumping) and calcium deposits on surfaces such as I did. It was a fun learning experiment though.

You also risk elevating your pH to high as well tho that may or may not manifest itself depending on your variables at play in your tank. Go with a doser if you're going to use a reactor.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u are using a kal reactor with a pump or your auto top pump
Carefully metered pump. I would not run on evaporation as that is an uncontrolled system. Plenty have done it but no longer recommended with equipment available today.

I showed simple metering system in picture as stable and reliable.

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer dosing limewater (kalkwasser) from a settled reservoir.

It allows settling of insoluble impurities, is easy to control potency, and only took me about 10 minutes once every 1-2 months to make up a large batch stored in 3 x 44 gallon brute cans plumbed together.

You can also more easily add vinegar to it to boost potency, if you so desire (I never did).
Crazy question Randy, but what would happen if you either placed your CaRx effluent to feed your Kalk Reactor or somehow plumbed it in to the exit side of your Kalk reactor to reduce the buildup that can occur there. Thinking the low pH would come up on the CaRx effluent, but wondering chemistry wise what would happen there. Thx

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back