kalkwasser

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im dosing kalkwasser in a brs space saver jug do i need to mix every so often being i do not have a reactor also ive read that adding vinegar makes it more concentrated any help will be appreciated

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will settle out in the begining when you mix it. That portion is prob not soluble anyways.
It is ok to stir it. I would just be sure to let it sit for a bit before dosing. You dont want the undissolved stuff in your tank.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar does indeed increase the concentration of kalk. Basically it allows you to use more kalk and less water for tanks that don't have enough daily evaporation.

You have the first problem that Randy mentioned.

The next is that you lose the pH rise of kalk which is a big reason for using kalk.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so no. Vinegar next question when is it a good time to dose otbive been dosing at night but still see no real effect ph gets to about 7.7 sometimes 7.8 but nothin higher than that

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so no. Vinegar next question when is it a good time to dose otbive been dosing at night but still see no real effect ph gets to about 7.7 sometimes 7.8 but nothin higher than that

Are you monitoring alkalinity?

What is it and how much limewater (kalkwasser) are you adding each to day what size tank?

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a brs space saver jug i beleive its a gallon jug ive been dosing 1000 ml over a 12 hour period with my neptune dos tank is 200 gallons total water volume ive been monitroing alk its 8.2 as of now i try to test at the same time everyday which is around 6 when i get home which i will do later today

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 L of kalkwasser, even if saturated, when added to 200 gallons of aquarium water only boosts alkalinity by 0.15 dKH per 12 h or 0.3 dKH per day.

If that is enough to maintain alkalinity, it will have only a small effect on pH and it doesn't matter much when you add it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back