Kalkwasser?

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have been using Reef Blueprint Kalkwasser and was wanting to know, is there any difference bewteen this product and cooking grade pickling lime? The Reef Blueprint is always out of stock and was thinking of picking up some Ms Wages pickling lime.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those grey areas where some folks might say they've seen a difference using different calcium hydroxide products, but I personally haven't had any noticeable problems using Ms Wages.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a video on BRS TV where they discussed this. They mentioned that it's usually fine to use (Ryan had used it for a long time) but they said just make sure you don't dose from the bottom where any imputities settle out. They mentioned that sometimes it may include things like aluminum. Here's' the link to the video!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a video on BRS TV where they discussed this. They mentioned that it's usually fine to use (Ryan had used it for a long time) but they said just make sure you don't dose from the bottom where any imputities settle out. They mentioned that sometimes it may include things like aluminum. Here's' the link to the video!

I agree with the sentiment to avoid the impurities that precipitate, and have published several articles detailing this issue (such as the one below).

However, if they literally claim aluminum is one of these (I don't have 30 minutes to watch the video), then they are likely misunderstanding my article, or got the misinformation elsewhere. Aluminum is soluble (~80 ppm) at kalkwasser pH, and there is typically not enough in the solid material to reach that high (more like 1 ppm)

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been switching between seachem and ESV kalk for years without any noticeable downsides. Readily available at l fs, Amazon, etc. And yes, once settled out don’t use from the bottom inch or two

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back