Kansas City reefer looking for fishy friends

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - Patrick owns that place and they had a huge electrical failure several weeks ago that put them in bad shape. I have found aptasia, dinos, and dead fish in many tanks there. They have some great deals on used equipment but that is about all I do there now. You need to REALLY inspect the fish and corals before getting something there and have a FULL QT protocol. They are not back to normal yet although I went in last week and it is definitely better. The SPS frags they have are all dead or dying so they are still working to get better. I went to Live Art Aquatics off of Noland road (quite the drive from south OP) and they actually have some great tanks. Just a small selection but good stuff from what I could tell....

rmoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever bought/been to wholesale aquariums on 135th and I35? I go in there but always end up leaving. I don’t like how the tanks look and there is usually. Dead fish or 2 floating around.

Good place for miscellaneous used items if that’s what you’re looking for but I’ve always found their tanks to be dirty and frags pretty covered with hair algae, bubble algae, aptasia, etc. Decent deals but rather not expose my tank to that more than I need to.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good place for miscellaneous used items if that’s what you’re looking for but I’ve always found their tanks to be dirty and frags pretty covered with hair algae, bubble algae, aptasia, etc. Decent deals but rather not expose my tank to that more than I need to.
I can’t even sift through their used stuff. I’m too much of an organized ocd person and that place gives me a panic attack. I will say when I went in last week it did look better then it did a few months prior. I’m probably going to buy a small tank for nems since their tank deals are so good.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm late to the party here, but just wanted to add my "welcome" and say how cool it is that you have a big family of future reefers in the making ;) None of my kids are very interested in our tank besides to occasional "oh, that's cool" when we point something out to them lol

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened to Brother's Fish that used to be in Ward Parkway? I know I have been out of state for a while...but did they move. They used to be a great store. Right now, my favorite is Reef Rack.

Not sure on those guys - I tried to see where paradise aquatics came from (now on 159th and 69 in Overland Park but the owner was a bit rude and the pricing was fairly high - they moved there from somewhere so may be them

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps we all should get together and have a frag swap or meet up and start our own 'saltwater reef addiction support group'. If anyone is looking for Acan's, I collect them and they are growing big for my system.

Sounds good to me. I can'f find a club around here and would love to do some swaps. I have a few things I could donate including live phyto, chaeto, and some zoas...

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on those guys - I tried to see where paradise aquatics came from (now on 159th and 69 in Overland Park but the owner was a bit rude and the pricing was fairly high - they moved there from somewhere so may be them
. Paradise is near my home but I have had the same experience with rudeness. Always promising something is coming that day and a week later still hasn’t come. I choose to drive to reef rack, Great knowledgeable staff and wonderful stock

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened to Brother's Fish that used to be in Ward Parkway? I know I have been out of state for a while...but did they move. They used to be a great store. Right now, my favorite is Reef Rack.

I think (based on a quick search) that they are over off of Sterling. I haven't been there yet but hope too when I go over the Live Art again...

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to my first time in there, wont ever go back. First time I pulled up was 5:55PM, their online said the closed at 7PM, tried to walk up to the strore and whoever closed the door and locked it before I could come in. Should have stayed away that time, they had a handwritten 6 on their open close sign. Went back the next morning bc I was in need of bulkheads and new to the hobby didnt know about the reef rack at that time. Walked in and went over to whome I assumed was the owner, he confirmed he was and I started asking some entry level questions. This guy could have cared less what I was asking or even happy I was in his store. I refuse to shop at places like that. You dont deserve my business. From there I pleasantly found the reef rack and recently petopia.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had the pleasure to visit any KC shops yet, but if you guys are heading over towards Saint Louis, give me a heads up and maybe come by house for a visit. Just off highway 70 at the lake saint Louis Blvd exit.

I'm about to do a minor tank reset soon and most likely will be giving away some frags.

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had the pleasure to visit any KC shops yet, but if you guys are heading over towards Saint Louis, give me a heads up and maybe come by house for a visit. Just off highway 70 at the lake saint Louis Blvd exit.

I'm about to do a minor tank reset soon and most likely will be giving away some frags.
Keep us posted when you do. I have a friend that just moved back to St Charles, would give me a good reason to go see him.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dang, time to gas up the Harley, find some coolers that fit in the bag! Road trip!

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - for those that are interested I think we are going to try and meet up at Pilgrim Coffee at 127th and Metcalf in Overland Park (we can discuss all kinds of things including if this is a best location later) in the . next couple of weeks...

Looking forward to it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back