Kansas City

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does KC no longer have an active local reef club?

Both salt-city and Kansas City Reef Association websites appear to be gone. :confused:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The KC area one I belonged to many years ago is long gone...

I'd call Reef Rack, or one of the other marine specialty shops, and ask them.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little digging, and there are apparently some big local FB groups. But I'm still waiting for that craze to pass. :p

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little digging, and there are apparently some big local FB groups. But I'm still waiting for that craze to pass. :p

Don't hold your breath. As the father of four daughters, I can promise you that social networking sites are _not_ going away... no matter how hard we might wish them to.

rmoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey humblefish do you know the names of those groups on the book of faces?

Just found this local thread so I thought I’d share

Kc saltwater & reef
Kc saltwater & reef sales & auction group
The reef rack sales & auction

Those are the three local Facebook groups I know of, and are pretty active.

Kc saltwater & reef (referred to a lot as Kc salt) was what took over as salt-city died off. Miss that site ☹️

cdr5y7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I have joined those fb groups and a lot of people who were on salt city are still on the groups. Good atuff

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was scoobyreefer on Salt-city, miss that place, I think Hotrod and Mizzy were struggling to keep it afloat after FB groups started taking the thunder.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible we'll be moving back to KC (for good) next year. If we do, I'd like to launch an online reefing forum if there's enough interest.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss when we hosted "the day at the shop" for Salt-City when I was working at Aquariums Wholesale, Inky would bring over a bunch of smoked pork butt, got to put some faces to SNs which is always fun. People sharing information, techniques and trends, trading frags, equipment, raffles etc etc.

It was always a good time.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss when we hosted "the day at the shop" for Salt-City when I was working at Aquariums Wholesale, Inky would bring over a bunch of smoked pork butt, got to put some faces to SNs which is always fun. People sharing information, techniques and trends, trading frags, equipment, raffles etc etc.

It was always a good time.

Oh man, I haven't thought about Aquariums Wholesale in forever. Does Pat still own it? Is he still in the mall??

rmoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I haven't thought about Aquariums Wholesale in forever. Does Pat still own it? Is he still in the mall??

lol you have been gone a while. The great mall is demolished, I think.... Pat moved to a shopping center in Olathe between i35 and Olathe Ford. Wish people did “day at the shop” still. I think a few stores do events though, and Live Art does live auctions every month or two

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, he got really into breeding designer snakes/ball pythons with his sons for a while, but last time I visited KC and stopped in he still had an awesome coral/fish selection, he may not get "the mall foot traffic" but the space he moved into is nicer than the one at the mall IMO, much better suited to an aquarium shop.
I think he just recently also did his big semi truck order of tanks from his hookup out in Cali.

Skimmed through some old pics and found this one of me sawing up some frags at his old shop, cant believe it was 8 years ago, seems like yesterday, le sigh..
Looks like I was being a good boy and was wearing gloves and eye protection. ;)

20191016_073552.jpg

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@C. Eymann I lived in KC from 2009-2012, so there's a good chance we at least saw one another in Pat's shop. :D

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few folks on here started up a local club in KC not long ago. You might touch base with @KCSUMPS or @Geebs19 or @Almondkc . KCRC

I met a couple of the members a couple months ago, they are great guys.

Last edited:

Jreed983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible we'll be moving back to KC (for good) next year. If we do, I'd like to launch an online reefing forum if there's enough interest.
I would definitely be down for getting in on this if you start it up. I too moved back to KC about a year ago and am just getting ready to start up a new Biocube the wife bought me for Christmas after being out of the hobby since 2013.

Last time I had a tank I lived in San Diego. To say the reefing community is different here doesn't quite cover it! I think I'm definitely going to be missing just the number of local reefers that sold frags for cheap and all the different shops but I'm definitely stoked to be getting back into reefing again! It will hopefully be much better this time as I'm not scraping by financially like we were back then!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back