Kasa TPlink HS300 resetting/rebooting

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to cross post but I initially posted this in the DIY section and not the reef-pi section but did not get any hits there. I have from day one run one wired powerstrip via reef-pi and one Kasa TP-link HS300, not sure how long this has been going on but recently I have noticed that the whole powerstrip resets, had it happen twice today, off and then back on. Has anyone seen anything similar, pretty annoying since I have my return pump on it. Not sure what could be causing it, google search shows that it appears to be a common issue, firmware is up to date so not sure what else to try, anyone have any suggestions let me know.

The other thing is there are any other powerstrip like the Kasa that work with reef-pi, willing to try something else but not sure anything else is supported.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to cross post but I initially posted this in the DIY section and not the reef-pi section but did not get any hits there. I have from day one run one wired powerstrip via reef-pi and one Kasa TP-link HS300, not sure how long this has been going on but recently I have noticed that the whole powerstrip resets, had it happen twice today, off and then back on. Has anyone seen anything similar, pretty annoying since I have my return pump on it. Not sure what could be causing it, google search shows that it appears to be a common issue, firmware is up to date so not sure what else to try, anyone have any suggestions let me know.

The other thing is there are any other powerstrip like the Kasa that work with reef-pi, willing to try something else but not sure anything else is supported.

Stabing totally in the dark here can you factory reset the HS300 and then set the drivers back up on the reef-pi?

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stabing totally in the dark here can you factory reset the HS300 and then set the drivers back up on the reef-pi?
Yeah I can, from the google searches there are pages of threads about the unit rebooting like this, usually something on the network is triggering it. I've not see any reports where a factory reset solves the problem but I can add it to the list to try. One of the postings I read about is if your using Alexa or google home, but as far as I know I am not using either but we do have android phones and who knows what google is doing on your phone lol. Since the logs on a raspberry roll daily my logs do not go that far back, I need to start sending my logs to a logging server but been to lazy but this shows what I am seeing, doesnt happen daily just random and then it can go days or week and not happen...

zgrep timeout var/log/syslog*
var/log/syslog.1:Mar 8 21:15:20 octopi reef-pi[23391]: 2023/03/08 21:15:20 ph sub-system: ERROR: Failed to read probe: Energy Return Pump . Error: dial tcp 10.99.99.16:9999: i/o timeout
var/log/syslog.1:Mar 8 21:16:20 octopi reef-pi[23391]: 2023/03/08 21:16:20 ph sub-system: ERROR: Failed to read probe: Energy Return Pump . Error: dial tcp 10.99.99.16:9999: i/o timeout
var/log/syslog.2.gz:Mar 7 14:16:43 octopi reef-pi[788]: 2023/03/07 14:16:43 ph sub-system: ERROR: Failed to read probe: Energy Return Pump . Error: dial tcp 10.99.99.16:9999: i/o timeout
var/log/syslog.2.gz:Mar 7 14:17:43 octopi reef-pi[788]: 2023/03/07 14:17:43 ph sub-system: ERROR: Failed to read probe: Energy Return Pump . Error: dial tcp 10.99.99.16:9999: i/o timeout
var/log/syslog.5.gz:Mar 4 05:22:43 octopi reef-pi[788]: 2023/03/04 05:22:43 ph sub-system: ERROR: Failed to read probe: Energy Return Pump . Error: dial tcp 10.99.99.16:9999: i/o timeout
var/log/syslog.5.gz:Mar 4 11:21:43 octopi reef-pi[788]: 2023/03/04 11:21:43 ph sub-system: ERROR: Failed to read probe: Energy Return Pump . Error: dial tcp 10.99.99.16:9999: i/o timeout
var/log/syslog.5.gz:Mar 4 11:22:43 octopi reef-pi[788]: 2023/03/04 11:22:43 ph sub-system: ERROR: Failed to read probe: Energy Return Pump . Error: dial tcp 10.99.99.16:9999: i/o timeout

Not sure why this happens but for whatever reason if I try to post the true path /var I get a posting error, oops we ran into an issue posting, real frustrating and not sure what has changed that doesnt like the /

posting error.png

Last edited:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably all ready saw this but if not it offers some solutions.

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably all ready saw this but if not it offers some solutions.
Yeah supposedly they fixed it, lol...not for me :)

From what I have read is there is something on the network that is probably sending a packet and basically causes the networking stack to reboot the strip, could be a memory leak or something since for me it happens sporadically. I upgraded firmware back in December and I am kicking myself since I was not having the issue previously...

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah supposedly they fixed it, lol...not for me :)

From what I have read is there is something on the network that is probably sending a packet and basically causes the networking stack to reboot the strip, could be a memory leak or something since for me it happens sporadically. I upgraded firmware back in December and I am kicking myself since I was not having the issue previously...
From which version to which version did you "upgrade" ? You can always try to downgrade again if that's possible, the website seems to offer older versions as well, like the 2.0 version:

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From which version to which version did you "upgrade" ? You can always try to downgrade again if that's possible, the website seems to offer older versions as well, like the 2.0 version:
Looks like I am using a hardware version 1.0, firmware 1.0.21...no idea what firmware I was on before I upgraded though...not sure I see anything that says you can downgrade the firmware, not that I see on that page.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am using a hardware version 1.0, firmware 1.0.21...no idea what firmware I was on before I upgraded though...not sure I see anything that says you can downgrade the firmware, not that I see on that page.
Ooops, that was the hardware version ... sry, my bad :worried-face:

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooops, that was the hardware version ... sry, my bad :worried-face:
Yeah no problem, the things they rarely allow you to downgrade the firmware, sigh. I really like the unit, but the resetting of the whole strip kind of stinks. I can move my return pump over to my wired strip but then I loose power monitoring, I'm monitoring power and alerting based on that output so if my return pump ever died I would be notified, not sure it hurts my wave pumps to restart and the other stuff I have on their but my return pump is an issue. Thats how I knew something was going on since I heard by Bean Animal overflow flush and I was like whaat the heck...and started noticing it wasn't just the one outlet but the whole strip.

I'll try resetting it to factory when I have some time to re-adjust stuff and see if it makes any different but my guess it won't.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this happened to couple of my hs300 units. I have couple of worst cases where their IP has swapped and the whole control logic got messed up. One reef-pi was controlling another tank's heater :-O . Im glad I caught it early on. Grafana based alerting saved my day.

Im planning to upgrade my router. Have to settle on the wifi details (6 or not). I believe its a combo of hot devices and router that makes such issues systemic

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this happened to couple of my hs300 units. I have couple of worst cases where their IP has swapped and the whole control logic got messed up. One reef-pi was controlling another tank's heater :-O . Im glad I caught it early on. Grafana based alerting saved my day.

Im planning to upgrade my router. Have to settle on the wifi details (6 or not). I believe its a combo of hot devices and router that makes such issues systemic
Yeah kind of wish we had an alternative solution, when you start searching it not difficult to find others that have had similar issues, for the most part it's not a huge deal since I only put wave pumps and some other non critical stuff on the strip but I do have my return pump and that kind of concerns me. Not sure what caused the issues that I am seeing, I had to reload my main router some time back and it was essentially offline for sometime and starting to wonder if that goofed it up or the firmware upgrade. I am going to factory reset it and see if that helps.

If you are going to upgrade your wifi I would try to get something that supports 6, should give you longer life span for future use and for anything that can use 6 will be supposedly better off until they find issues with it also, lol.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one, lol. :)

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back