Kasa Users BEWARE

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've been using a few Kasa wifi power strips to "hold me over" until I can get my Apex all wired up and programmed. A few weeks ago I installed an Avast Plank auto feeder, which (if you're not familiar) has both an auger to push the food out, and a small pump to distribute that food into the water column.

I had programmed the Kasa smart strip to turn the auger on for 2 mins at 10 am, 3 pm, and 8 pm each day. The pump runs at the same time for longer.

I'm away from home right now but had some down time, so I opened up my Kasa settings to double check the settings so I can start writing the programming to switch control over to the Apex. When I open the app, I see that the auger is showing "ON" but the last feeding was over 3 hours ago. I quick call my wife at home and have her take a look. Sure enough, the auger was slowly spinning.

Thinking maybe I had accidentally fat-fingered the "on" button when I opened the app, I went further into the settings to where it shows energy usage. The average daily run time is 0.07 hrs, which tracks. Total runtime today: 3.77 hours. what the heck Kasa! Apparently it just randomly decided to NOT follow its programming and shut off the auger after the programmed run time.

This isn't the first time I've had issues with Kasa programming NOT working like it should, either. I had a QT tank last year that was running on a Kasa smart strip. I had the HOB filter scheduled to shut off a few times each day during feedings. One morning I got back from work and found the HOB filter was STILL off. Same deal. Apparently Kasa had decided to NOT follow its programming and turn the pump back on after the feeding like it had been doing reliably up to that point.

I can't stress the importance of automation/monitoring enough if you're in my shoes and spend a lot of time away from home. It looks like I'll be expediting my Apex programming for the next few days!

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been using a few Kasa wifi power strips to "hold me over" until I can get my Apex all wired up and programmed. A few weeks ago I installed an Avast Plank auto feeder, which (if you're not familiar) has both an auger to push the food out, and a small pump to distribute that food into the water column.

I had programmed the Kasa smart strip to turn the auger on for 2 mins at 10 am, 3 pm, and 8 pm each day. The pump runs at the same time for longer.

I'm away from home right now but had some down time, so I opened up my Kasa settings to double check the settings so I can start writing the programming to switch control over to the Apex. When I open the app, I see that the auger is showing "ON" but the last feeding was over 3 hours ago. I quick call my wife at home and have her take a look. Sure enough, the auger was slowly spinning.

Thinking maybe I had accidentally fat-fingered the "on" button when I opened the app, I went further into the settings to where it shows energy usage. The average daily run time is 0.07 hrs, which tracks. Total runtime today: 3.77 hours. what the heck Kasa! Apparently it just randomly decided to NOT follow its programming and shut off the auger after the programmed run time.

This isn't the first time I've had issues with Kasa programming NOT working like it should, either. I had a QT tank last year that was running on a Kasa smart strip. I had the HOB filter scheduled to shut off a few times each day during feedings. One morning I got back from work and found the HOB filter was STILL off. Same deal. Apparently Kasa had decided to NOT follow its programming and turn the pump back on after the feeding like it had been doing reliably up to that point.

I can't stress the importance of automation/monitoring enough if you're in my shoes and spend a lot of time away from home. It looks like I'll be expediting my Apex programming for the next few days!

I've had issues on and off for a few years now with Kasa devices. It seems that no matter how updated you keep them, they just randomly stop working. I stopped relying on them and switched to another automation system (reef-pi) and no longer have to deal with it.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your auto-feeder not have the capability to auto-feed? I’ve heard the name mentioned before but don’t know anything about it.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had mine for 2 years, autofeeder is not on it but uv, pumps, in both the display and the hospital, even skimmer pump, so far no issues, knock on wood

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does your auto-feeder not have the capability to auto-feed? I’ve heard the name mentioned before but don’t know anything about it.

I see what you did there lol

The Plank has an auger to push the food out of the hopper and into a delivery chamber. Inside the delivery chamber is a small pump that pushes the food out into the water column. However they both need to have a separate timer to tell them WHEN to run. Usually people run them off something like an EB832 and program the feed times in there. Other times people will use a standard wall outlet timer to accomplish the same thing. Or, as in my case, a wifi controlled power strip that can be "programmed."

The Plank design itself is actually REALLY brilliant. It works with pellets, flakes, freeze-dried food, and even mixes of all of the above. It's much more tunable and reliable than traditional rotating drum style feeders, and actually delivers the food into the water column rather than just dumping it on top and letting it do whatever it does.

The failure wasn't with the feeder, though. The failure was with the timer I used to control the feeder.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've not used Kasa for my aquarium for this very reason. The only reason for my reply those is that I do have a similar experience with it turning on my treadmill. I'll ask Alexa or the app to turn it on but it just sits there in the off state. The whole time I'm thinking yeah me, I get out of exercise today :D

Teasing of course but seriously. I know people use these with aquariums all the time but the little interaction I have with them is 50/50. I'm sure it is user error of some sort on my side anyway.

I'm sure someone where will be able to help - they are used a lot.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've not used Kasa for my aquarium for this very reason. The only reason for my reply those is that I do have a similar experience with it turning on my treadmill. I'll ask Alexa or the app to turn it on but it just sits there in the off state. The whole time I'm thinking yeah me, I get out of exercise today :D

Teasing of course but seriously. I know people use these with aquariums all the time but the little interaction I have with them is 50/50. I'm sure it is user error of some sort on my side anyway.

I'm sure someone where will be able to help - they are used a lot.

I think they're probably fine if you don't need to make schedules. Always on/off and being able to manually shut something off (or on) is fine, but I just can't rely on their scheduling feature any longer.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through 2 of the kasa strips before I gave up. I had better luck with wifi power plugs dor on and off and cheap digital timers for things that need a schedule. First kasa strip lost power to a couple of outlets. Second one worked ok for a few months then stopped powering all outlets. I gave up and switched to manual strips with individual switches. Fortunaly I do not travel.
If I had to travel I probably would not be in the hobby because just reading about controllers and the coding makes my head hurt.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went through 2 of the kasa strips before I gave up. I had better luck with wifi power plugs dor on and off and cheap digital timers for things that need a schedule. First kasa strip lost power to a couple of outlets. Second one worked ok for a few months then stopped powering all outlets. I gave up and switched to manual strips with individual switches. Fortunaly I do not travel.
If I had to travel I probably would not be in the hobby because just reading about controllers and the coding makes my head hurt.

I actually kind of enjoy the controller side of the hobby. It's kind of fun for me to learn and write the programming, and come up with the failsafes and stuff. It's not as complicated as it looks at first - I'm just a dumb fireman and I've mostly figured it out :squinting-face-with-tongue:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually kind of enjoy the controller side of the hobby. It's kind of fun for me to learn and write the programming, and come up with the failsafes and stuff. It's not as complicated as it looks at first - I'm just a dumb fireman and I've mostly figured it out :squinting-face-with-tongue:
I really would like to run a controller on my new tank eventually but when it comes to that type of stuff I have patience of a gnat these days. Not that I ever had an abundance of patience :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have my DOS auto water change running as fast as it can right now to try to get some of that fouled water out, but it can only do so much remotely. I'm limited by what my wife is able to help out with via FaceTime. Unfortunately that will NOT include a big water change because a) she's never done it before, b) it's starting to get late and c) she's recovering from a minor surgery.

I'll have to toss in a bag of GFO tomorrow, do a big water change, and maybe set up the skimmer I have still in the box up in the attic (currently only running a filter roller). I think even with all that I need to prepare myself for a massive algae outbreak. Good news is I have an order of over 100 CUC critters arriving tomorrow.

Thank GOD for filter rollers though. Whatever it does filter out won't be sitting and rotting in a sock until I can get home!

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a couple of times where the lights would be on in the morning from the same issue where the switch must not have followed the timer.

I now make sure location is synced and firmware is up to date about every month and it hasn’t recurred yet.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run something else but the cost of these apex and other systems is prohibitive compared to the kasa and since it is mainly on off i have no need to blow big money on that.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would run something else but the cost of these apex and other systems is prohibitive compared to the kasa and since it is mainly on off i have no need to blow big money on that.

You’re absolutely right. There’s a huge cost barrier for these kinds of things, which is sad. Especially since Neptune isn’t as quality as it used to be. Some of their stuff these days is absolute garbage. But I’m committed at this point. Best I can do is know its weak points and plan for them in my system design :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought a box of 4 of the plugins and tried over a period of 6 months to get them to work consistently but never could.
Either wouldn't program or lost the programing.
Finally tossed them in the garbage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back