Kbrown’s Biocube 29

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a coralife biocube off someone getting out of the hobby. Stock compact lighting currently.

The only upgrades at current are an mj1200 return pump, y-split return nozzle, and an intank media basket.

Livestock:
Midas blenny
Occelaris clownfish
Two skunk cleaner shrimp
Orange turbo snail
A couple blue leg hermits
Caulerpa proliferate

Coral:
Various zoas
A couple purple gorgonian frags I need to sale
Various mushrooms
Purple torch
Blasted
Lobos
Acans

Plans:
Small tunze wavemaker
Lighting-either nanobox or kessil 160we
Auto top off
Tunes 9001 slimmer
Considering a cheato refuge in the back, but I am debating between it and skinner

I am very hesitant to go kessil lighting due to the topless/having to make a custom lid dilemma. All my coral is reacting well to stock lighting, so I have plenty of time to decide. I look forward to sharing my progress! Please share any advice you have for me.

8295112D-DF90-49A3-8367-669206D68DE6.jpeg

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kbrow0810 That's looking good! Octoaquatics makes some awesome lids for all tanks (do not have one but have seen them in person). However, you then have the issues of evaporation, ato, etc... Cannot wait to see how this progresses

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading the light and going to an open top is definitely the time you want to have an ATO. If you upgrade the light, add and ATO and you will be set.

I'm a big fan of Kessil and love my 160we's! I have two of them on one of my displays (40 AIO) and two on my frag tank. They are easy to control with their optional controller which makes them a set and forget light. I've got an AI Prime, and the quality of the light IMHO is better from the Kessil as there is no disco ball effect. That said, there are perks to other brands of lighting as I'm trying a few of them, but nothing has been as clear as Kessil.

OP
OP
Kbrow0810

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kbrow0810 That's looking good! Octoaquatics makes some awesome lids for all tanks (do not have one but have seen them in person). However, you then have the issues of evaporation, ato, etc... Cannot wait to see how this progresses

I’m usually pretty handy, so I am considering making my own glass or glass/acrylic hybrid lid so I can use an ai prime or kessil.

OP
OP
Kbrow0810

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading the light and going to an open top is definitely the time you want to have an ATO. If you upgrade the light, add and ATO and you will be set.

I'm a big fan of Kessil and love my 160we's! I have two of them on one of my displays (40 AIO) and two on my frag tank. They are easy to control with their optional controller which makes them a set and forget light. I've got an AI Prime, and the quality of the light IMHO is better from the Kessil as there is no disco ball effect. That said, there are perks to other brands of lighting as I'm trying a few of them, but nothing has been as clear as Kessil.

It took me forever to pull the trigger on an ato for my 150. I will never look back. I love the ai primes my sister in law has. I have heard some not so great things regarding the frequent updates though.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an HD model, so I'm not sure what issues people might be running into. The AI Prime I have is one of the original models and it's solid for what it is. I just think they are mainly focused on shallow tanks so you can get the right amount of PAR as well as the reduced discoball effect. Right now I've got mine on a IM 14 about 5-6" from the waters surface and I still see the speckles of dancing colors on the rock and sand.

As for your DIY lid, I would caution against a solid top. If you go with glass or lexan you're going to be holding all the heat in that a Kessil would be pumping in. Going with a mesh top would be better, but then again you're talking needing an ATO to keep things stable. The other issue is glass isn't exactly ideal for a BioCube as they have the rounded cuts, so you'd most likely be looking at acrylic/lexan. When it comes to the 1/8th inch and 1/4" stuff it will start to warp as soon as there is any heat applied to it. So that said, expect to find the lid dipping into the tank.

OP
OP
Kbrow0810

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered drilling some release holes to help with the heat issue, but it may still not work. As far as glass/acrylic, I was considering making the main square of the tank glass with the bow out of acrylic. A small piece with increased support may reduce the likely hood of sagging. A net with an ato would be simpler over all.

OP
OP
Kbrow0810

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!
I had to treat for flatworms and will do so again in a week or so.
Today, I got a 1k gyre and a160we to go on the tank. The kessil came with a controller. I am excited to see how my corals react. I am a bit nervous about having to remove the top, but we will see how it goes.

OP
OP
Kbrow0810

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been nearly a month since adding the kessil, gyre, and treating for flatworms. No worms present since the last treatment. Everything loves the Kessil. I am fighting with the gyre though. It keeps spitting micro bubbles.

7D9D4825-552D-4EF4-A9CA-326E63C4AE3E.jpeg

OP
OP
Kbrow0810

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on my biocube!
Upgraded to a mp10, added a tunze 9001 skimmer, and have a tunze 3155 to add to the setup at well. The powerhead change made all the difference with my torches.

F5551769-BBD9-4711-A668-F3B2716D6043.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back