Keep aggressive tang or trade back to store???

overraded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice/experience with what to do for an aggressive tang.

150 gallon reef tank. Tank is relatively new and been set up for about 4 months now.
3 tangs. Yellow, Kole, Sailfin. (I had 4 tangs but the blue hippo tang recently died). Fish were all peaceful with this set up.
Yellow tang is the largest fish. After blue hippo died, the yellow became the dominant fish and super aggressive to the Sailfin. Yellow tang kept the sailfin in boxed into the corner of the tank and wouldn't let it out to eat or swim. I let this go on for a few days thinking it would dissipate but it got worse. Last night I caught the yellow tang in a trap and its now in the sump.

My ideas on going forward:
1. Is it possible to reintroduce the YT after a few days in the sump and have a better outcome? How long should I keep the tang in the sump?
2. Should I trade fish back to store and get a smaller YT?
3. I've been thinking of adding a blue throat trigger. Should I add both fish at same time to help neutralize the aggression

Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_6824.jpg IMG_6836.jpg IMG_7217.jpg IMG_7219.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i would trade in bully try smaller and yes add trigger same time ,assuming after qt them ,happy reefing ,nice tank!!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of that tank? You might not be able to keep multiple tangs in there.

OP
OP
overraded

overraded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of that tank? You might not be able to keep multiple tangs in there.
Its a tall tank. Had it custom made to get a matching bookshelf on opposite side of fire place.
45"L
22"W
37"H

Could be 45" tank is not long enough to keep a YT happy with enough room to swim?
IMG_6928.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome!

The sailfin and yellow are so closely related that they may not tolerate each other in a 4' tank, so that is some of what you're seeing.

The hippo and sailfin aren't great choices for that tank shape anyway. So I would actually get rid of the sailfin.

I would keep the yellow and kole, and see if they will get along. They probably will. If they don't, then make that choice.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back