Keep Glass Clean

DaddyO NJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cleaning my glass every other day due to build up. Is there something I can test the water with to keep clean? It is related to high Nitrate and Phosphate?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the lines of what people have stated... what are you using to clean your tank? Maybe there is an easier way to do a daily clean? Large size magnet scraper etc?
I have a magnet scraper that chills in my tank if things look gross during the weekday, then do a good scraping on the weekends.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let it grow, can’t be bothered to scrape it every day. Plus it sends my fish into hiding for hours. Once a week is good enough for me

It as mentioned above, it’s perfectly normal, there is no way to avoid it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let it grow, can’t be bothered to scrape it every day. Plus it sends my fish into hiding for hours. Once a week is good enough for me

It as mentioned above, it’s perfectly normal, there is no way to avoid it.
This is my approach also plus it feeds snails, urchins and the starfish

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cleaning my glass every other day due to build up. Is there something I can test the water with to keep clean? It is related to high Nitrate and Phosphate?
While magnets are convenient they really just release what you don't want on your glass back into the water column. I find using a wool filter sock best for permanent removal. I've also had great results using TMRA weekly. 20231031_132349.jpg

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Over the past few weeks I had family visiting and my phosphates pretty much bottomed out while my nitrates stayed around 20. Once that happened not only did I get some dinos popping up on my sand but I started to get green dust algae growing so fast I had to clean the glass every day. Once I got my phosphates back up it is slowing down and the back pane of glass that usually has brown algae on it returned to brown from green. You may have one or the other of your nutrients out of balance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have to do my glass every other day- Not abnormal. You can direct water flow towards glass to reduce ability to stick to the glass

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilt your lights away from the front glass.

After pointing all my lights away from the glass I got better PAR in the tank and I went from cleaning the glass every 2 days to 2 times a week.

A UV and low nutrients help also.

OP
OP
D

DaddyO NJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the comments. I am using a flipper and it is not difficult. I was just checking to see what others think. Thanks for all the replies. Let me get the nitrate/phosphates to a respectable level and see what happens.

nursingcoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrape away, and sometime my tang will nibble at the stuff coming off the glass. I have to clean the glass often, and the razor tipped cleaners work very well for me.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back