Keep Glass Clean

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrape only when I feel like it, so my glass is not very clean...
I tried using a magnet, it is convenient but I have sand in my tank and sand got caught on the magnet and I ended up scratching my glass. Now the algae first appears in the scratch and becomes impossible to remove completely.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilt your lights away from the front glass.

After pointing all my lights away from the glass I got better PAR in the tank and I went from cleaning the glass every 2 days to 2 times a week.

A UV and low nutrients help also.
Isn't that about the same amount of times? 3(2)=6 , 7/2=3.5 so about 12 hours difference. Of course that adds up over a year but for everyday life not really that much of an improvement.

Just to clarify if I change the original 3 to a 4 then back end it on the second equation it's still only 12 hours different except in a different direction. 3:3.5 or 4:3.5..

Last edited:

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order some pods, they will clean your glass very well. Except for Coraline. Earlier someone mentioned phyto, that feeds the pods. Pods in my experience are boom then bust, and I can tell which cycle they are on when my refuguim walls get dirty. I have a 40 gallon and honestly I only clean it when it gets too much white film, I do use a nitrate reactor that's fed with carbon so I'm pretty sure it's bacteria but I really only have to do it once a week or so. That being said I do, do it more often just because I like having the interaction. I probably should stop because my nerites only hang out on the back glass so hopefully I'm not starving them.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean every other day while it is something else to do I feel that it is good for my corals and particularly for my derasa clam

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past few months I only have to clean the glass every 2 or 3 weeks. The only thing I can corralate that with is my nitrates being zero on my hanna tester. Zero since April.

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use plastic razor blades from Amazon. Cheap and they don’t scratch the glass. I clean the front glass every two to three times a week. Algae on the sides is kept in check with snails etc.

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my glass once a week or more.
I dose daily phito , phosphate 0,15 and nitrate 5.
I don’t know why it is so clean.
No algae but a brown film.

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried all sorts of magnetic scrapers, with sharp and blunt razor blades... Everything.

What really revolutionized the cleaning in my 25gal tank is using a coarse kitchen sponge. So much better than all the plastic crap you can buy which is over time going to scratch your glass.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back