Keeping a reef tank warm with calcium chloride during a power outage?

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so my power did go out last night and my temp only dropped 1 degree in the 6 hours it was out. Luckily without me doing anything, because I was too busy manual making waves and aerating the water since somehow my vortech battery back up's charging cable had gotten unplugged! Good ol murphys.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think for smaller tanks you might be able to float some heating packs in a zip lock bag... I’ve only got a 14 g cube and can see this working. Getting my water change temp correct is super easy... hot water into a zip lock bag for about 10 minutes... then again it’s only 2g of water. Haha love my nano reef!

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think for smaller tanks you might be able to float some heating packs in a zip lock bag... I’ve only got a 14 g cube and can see this working. Getting my water change temp correct is super easy... hot water into a zip lock bag for about 10 minutes... then again it’s only 2g of water. Haha love my nano reef!
Yes you can use heating packs but they aren't as effecient/more expensive then the calcium chloride water bottles, supposedly. You could just bear hug the nano and it'd stay warm lol

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can use heating packs but they aren't as effecient/more expensive then the calcium chloride water bottles, supposedly. You could just bear hug the nano and it'd stay warm lol[
I’d cuddle that tank all night if need be to keep it warm... might even make the wife jealous with all that cuddling! I’d just be scared of using a solution that could potentially get into the tank, but do what you have to in an emergency. Thinking things through and being prepared is key!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, would calcium oxide be a better choice if the goal is to create heat in an emergency situation? It releases 64kj/mole upon hydration if I'm not mistaken. Plus, if my Googling is correct, calcium oxide weighs less than calcium chloride per mole. So a smaller amount of CaO would give a larger temperature increase as compared to CaCl2 (again, if my understanding is correct).

It has limited solubility. Max solubility at 25 deg C is 0.0204 M, while CaCl2 is well above 1 M. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back