Keeping acropora...

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the poster child for a top notch reef aquarium, is always a photo of a tank, filled to the brim with colorful acropora corals. Why acropora, what makes it the determining factor in a gorgeous, thriving reef. Perhaps it's because, for many, keeping acropora corals long term, and in vibrant color, marks a significant milestone. These guys test our skills as coral reef aquarists, and aren't just a canary in coal mine, when it comes to water quality. If something is off, acropora colonies go into a frenzy and are quick to perish. So what makes them so difficult to keep? Is it their zero tolerance of less than perfect water quality, the fact that they demand powerful lighting, or is it something else? We know the fundamentals of a healthy reef aquarium, how do they apply to acropora corals? Understanding the biology behind small polyp stony corals can help, shedding some light into what makes an acropora, well, an acropora.

Biology:

Acropora represents a genus of corals in the phylum Cnidaria, which is home to over 10,000 marine animals. Commonly seen elkhorn, or staghorn coral, are just two members of the 149 described species of acropora. These are reef builders, creating complex calcium carbonite skeletons that build the structure of coral reefs. As many reef aquarists know, acropora colonies come in a variety of different shapes and sizes, some tabling out while others shoot straight up, toward a light source. The polyps on this species are small, typically about 2 mm, sharing tissue and a nerve net. While each polyp is essentially an individual, they share enough that the colony can react together, based on shared nerve signals. During the day polyps protrude slightly, and at night they extend, catching organic matter within the water.

All species of acropora are prone to bleaching, a total loss of symbiotic algae. In many cases, this leads to the demise of the entire colony. Worldwide, on natural coral reefs, sedimentation, ocean warming and eutrophication, have all led to the loss of living acropora.

0681BlueTippedAcropora.JPG

While acropora are gorgeous, they are also delicate and prone to bleaching.

In the aquarium:

Acropora corals glow within aquarium water. Rich blues, reds, purples, nearly every color in the rainbow is displayed on different species. It's interesting to note, the algae within the coral's tissue is a golden brown. Often, acropora colonies will brown within the aquarium. This is often due to nutrients, such as phosphate or nitrate, present in high quantities. It's important to understand, that the colors we strive for in these colonies, comes not from their symbiotic algae, but from a layer of skin that protects the colony from the harsh rays of the sun. This layer of tissue has evolved, to create rich and dynamic colors, which aid the coral in literally preventing a sunburn. We have to balance water quality, allowing enough zoxanthllae to survive, that the coral gets food, but not so much that the golden brown algae takes over, washing out the color of the coral's protective skin layer. Powerful lighting enhances this skin layer, thus offering richly colored specimens.

I noted that sedimentation has killed wild acropora colonies. This is important to note, as our aquariums are often home to sediment, which can easily be stirred up, clouding water. One trend in acropora heavy aquariums, is bare bottom. The use of a bio-pellet, or zeovit reactor, replaces the need for a refugium or sand-bed, and allows the aquarist to remove any unwanted debris easily. This can help ensure that nothing in your tank gets stirred up, harming your acropora.

maxresdefault.jpg

Without a sand bed to collect debris, bare bottom tanks offer a clean way to keep acropora.

A precarious balance:

There is no silver bullet to keeping acropora healthy and colorful. The trick is, getting everything in appropriate balance, and keeping it stable. To prevent browning, the aquarium must be void of nitrate and phosphate. Yes, you can have a small, slightly detectable level of either, and still have beautiful acropora in your tank. If it gets out of hand, your acros will let you know, as rich purples and blues, transform into a uniform golden brown.
As I said, stability is key. A tropical reef aquarium should be kept between 76 to 78 degrees. Large variation in temperature, especially temperature rises, wreaks havoc on acropora. It's for this reason that often using a controller, is vital to acropora health. The controller can cut the heater off, in case of it sticking in the on position, and switch fans on if necessary, if the tank gets too hot. This is helpful, since often, the intense lighting required to promote rich colors, generates a lot of heat.

When keeping acros, we often step outside the circle of reef fundamentals. Most aquarists monitor calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Many don't monitor iron, potassium and iodine, along with a host of others. The following is a breakdown of water parameters I have found acropora thrives under:

Ph: 8.18 night – 8.23 day
Temperature: 76 night / 77 day
Potassium: 380 ppm
Iodine: .06 ppm
Iron: .025 ppm
Alkalinity: 12-14 dKH
Nitrate: undetectable
Phosphate: .002 ppm
Density (Specific Gravity): 1.026
Calcium: 450 ppm
To properly test water when keeping acropora, accuracy is key. A good lab grade test kit work well. Digital lab grade checkers are better.

images.jpg

In the wild, acropora grows in all shapes and sizes, forming the physical backbone of the reef

Do I need a reactor?

I've kept acropora colonies, in pretty dense numbers, and never installed a calcium reactor. That said, to maintain low nutrient levels, I've used sulfur based de-nitrators, along with bio-pellets, but settled for a zeovit reactor, as the biological processes that take place within, allow for coral feeding. These guys are calcium hogs, so if you find dosing isn't keeping your calcium level in check, a reactor isn't a bad idea. Just remember, when starting a calcium reactor, any mistakes can lead to instability, and there is nothing acropora hates more, than instability. To answer the question of needing a reactor, it is very likely to create thriving acropora, you will have a reactor, in some form or another.

Amino acids?

Amino acids are important organic compounds, composed of amine. Amino acids combine, to form proteins. They are building blocks of life, and supplementing your aquarium with them, guarantees that corals have them, readily available. Since in the aquarium, most of the nutrition acropora colonies get, comes in the form of sucrose handed down by symbiotic algae, amino acids help complete the chain of nutrition, so that the animal can utilize calcium to build a strong skeleton and colorful tissue. Most of the amino acid supplements for reef aquariums cover all the essential amino acids, but a few to look out for are:
Histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. All of which are gained through consumption of food.

Lighting:

It's hard to over light an acropora. It can be done, but if properly acclimated to a light source, these guys thrive under very bright conditions. For years, metal halides were the weapon of choice, though today, powerful LED lights can create an optimum environment for all species of SPS corals, including acropora. When deciding on lights, if acropora is in your reef keeping plans, the more powerful, the better. It's important to remember, that on natural coral reefs, corals only receive about 6.5 hours of heavy, intense sun. It's not uncommon for us to light a captive reef for 12 hours. If this is the case, make sure your lights, (if LED) are ramping up, remaining intense for about half that time, and ramping back down. If you employ multiple T5 lights along with metal halides, switch bulbs on independently, over the course of a few hours.
Coral pests:

Acropora is one species that comes with its fair share of pests. While many aquarists don't extend quarantine to corals, in the case of this species, it becomes very important. A coral quarantine tank is simple, mainly eggcrate, heating and filtration. Sadly, the water quality needs to be kept on par with your display tank, so cost can be incurred in setting a coral quarantine up. This combined with a good routine of dipping each and every specimen. For best results a quarantine of at least 2 weeks to one month, can ensure that any pests are treated, and don't make their way into your display tank.
Treatment for pests varies. I personally recommend a dip of Sailfert's flatworm exit and Brightwell Aquatic's Coral RX – as an all-purpose dip for all new arrivals. If you can't quarantine, then a long dip in either, or both, of these products is recommended. Aquarists have been experimenting with using Bayer Advanced as a coral dip, though since I have no experience with it, I can't fully comment on success rates, especially long term.

stock-footage-bright-sun-shines-over-the-pacific-ocean-on-beautiful-day.jpg

Considering the fact that acropora comes from some of the brightest environments on Earth, the can handle all the light you can toss their way

Understanding the colony mentality:

One thing most certainly true about acropora, anything that happens, happens to the entire colony. Yes, one specific area of the coral may bleach, or a few polyps may die. Anything there is distress, the entire coral colony is in distress. It's for this reason, that stability is so vital, to the survival of these corals. If you're ready to take the plunge, and keep acropora, make sure everything is in check, balanced and stable. Under the right conditions these corals grow quickly and help build the structure of your reef. Patience is a virtue, and don't be surprised if you don't succeed at keeping acroporas, the first time around.

reef-exotic-4.jpg

Like the borg, acropora are a colony, with a shared nerve net

0681BlueTippedAcropora.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

images.jpg

stock-footage-bright-sun-shines-over-the-pacific-ocean-on-beautiful-day.jpg

reef-exotic-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome great article!

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...great write up.... One of the better ones I have read... One thing I'm curious about is your lower temperatures and higher alkalinity you keep things under... Also I've always found that most of my Coral will start to bleach out if I have undetectable nitrates... I have always kept by tank in between 10 and 20 on the higher level and have had great success with colors... Anytime I've gone below 10 I've started to have problems... Also what are you doing and what tests kits are you using to have zero nitrates… That is very hard to achieve.

OP
OP
reeffirstaid

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer, I run a zeovit reactor on my system, and an algae scrubber. I just switched over from my DIY scrubber, to the Surf2 from Santa Monica filtration. So far, I'm impressed, as it's a well built unit, and takes up much less space than my DIY did. Before zeovit I ran bio-pellets and before biopellets I ran the Aquari Pure bio-denitrator and before the aquari-pure I ran Korallin's sulfur based de-nitrator. I keep a high fish population in my tanks, so running a well lit fuge, and powerful protein skimmer, was never enough. I like the zeovit, scrubber combination, mainly since it comes without as many risks as the sulfur based de-nitrator or the bio-based de-nitrator. It's a bit more work than the bio-pellets but the fringe benefits are nice.

I use Red Sea test kits for everything, with the exception of Phosphate, Alkalinity, Iodine and Calcium, which I have Hanna Instrument digital checkers for. As for alkalinity, I've always run it on the high side. It was helpful when I was cycling my bio-pellet reactor, as the carbon source I used to feed the anaerobic bacteria had an effect on ph. It was interesting when Red Sea's Reef Care program debuted, they suggest high alkalinity values for SPS corals. I wasn't surprised, as I had been doing that for a long time.

You likely need to dose with Amino Acids. It's not uncommon to have bleaching when nitrates or phosphates fall, and a good amino acid supplement, can help prevent that. If you overdo it, your nitrates will rise, but if you have a good skimmer, normally it can be kept under control.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good article. It was a pleasure to read; thank you. I suppose you meant .02 ppm for phosphates? What coral foods and amino acids do you use?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great write up! Good info!

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article

The only thing I would argue about is the p04 levels. There are a few good threads here and on other sites about a lot of reefers with higher than recommended levels keeping beautiful tanks.

Levels
In the range of .08-.15. And having no browning effects or any
Negative effects just the positive of not spending money on gfo I will dig up the thread for you

Bob

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer, I run a zeovit reactor on my system, and an algae scrubber. I just switched over from my DIY scrubber, to the Surf2 from Santa Monica filtration. So far, I'm impressed, as it's a well built unit, and takes up much less space than my DIY did. Before zeovit I ran bio-pellets and before biopellets I ran the Aquari Pure bio-denitrator and before the aquari-pure I ran Korallin's sulfur based de-nitrator. I keep a high fish population in my tanks, so running a well lit fuge, and powerful protein skimmer, was never enough. I like the zeovit, scrubber combination, mainly since it comes without as many risks as the sulfur based de-nitrator or the bio-based de-nitrator. It's a bit more work than the bio-pellets but the fringe benefits are nice.

I use Red Sea test kits for everything, with the exception of Phosphate, Alkalinity, Iodine and Calcium, which I have Hanna Instrument digital checkers for. As for alkalinity, I've always run it on the high side. It was helpful when I was cycling my bio-pellet reactor, as the carbon source I used to feed the anaerobic bacteria had an effect on ph. It was interesting when Red Sea's Reef Care program debuted, they suggest high alkalinity values for SPS corals. I wasn't surprised, as I had been doing that for a long time.

You likely need to dose with Amino Acids. It's not uncommon to have bleaching when nitrates or phosphates fall, and a good amino acid supplement, can help prevent that. If you overdo it, your nitrates will rise, but if you have a good skimmer, normally it can be kept under control.
Great answer, thanks! So does the Zeo call for higher alk and lower temp?

OP
OP
reeffirstaid

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer zeo doesn't call for higher alk, though one of the additives is a soluble carbon source, which can lower alkalinity. I keep mine slightly high, for this reason. When I used a bio-denitrator, daily you had to add a strong dose of soluble carbon, and I found keeping my alk slightly high helped buffer any major drops. Many people who use zeovit are having great success with natural seawater parameters, in which alkalinity is about 7 dKH. As for temperature, I've always kept mine on the low side. If you look at a lot of South Pacific, and Hawaiian waters, the temperature of the water is around 75-77. The Caribbean gets warmer water temperatures, but I only have two (2) Caribbean fish species in my tank, and they both tolerate cooler temperatures well.

OP
OP
reeffirstaid

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for phosphates, I am sure there are many reefers who have luck with keeping SPS corals, running detectable phosphates. For me, as a zeovit user, having detectable phosphates doesn't work. Yes, zero nitrates and zero phosphates can cause some species to bleach, but using additives is a great way to fine tune your reef, giving you a level of control over coral growth, color and polyp extension. If you throw phosphates into the mix, it becomes something you have to try to offset, creating a chain reaction through everything else. Also, phosphates are known to stunt the creation of coral skeleton, thus stunting SPS and LPS growth.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for phosphates, I am sure there are many reefers who have luck with keeping SPS corals, running detectable phosphates. For me, as a zeovit user, having detectable phosphates doesn't work. Yes, zero nitrates and zero phosphates can cause some species to bleach, but using additives is a great way to fine tune your reef, giving you a level of control over coral growth, color and polyp extension. If you throw phosphates into the mix, it becomes something you have to try to offset, creating a chain reaction through everything else. Also, phosphates are known to stunt the creation of coral skeleton, thus stunting SPS and LPS growth.

Totally understandable about having 0 phosphate in a zeo system. You want to strip the water to nothing and only add in what you want to your reef

As far as stunting growth not entirely true. Here is a good article here. And there have been a few others as well that show that p04 does not inhibit growth of sps

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...els-increase-growth-rate-in-acropora-muricata

OP
OP
reeffirstaid

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I believe will become more pronounced in the future, especially as systems such as zeovit, bio-pellets, etc become more openly used, and more affordable, thus leading to widespread technological advances, is the benefit of "clean" reef aquariums. The bare bottom tank movement has gained momentum, and I know personally I have totally shut-down my refugium, and when I set up another reef, it will be bare bottom. Coral scientists have noted that widespread sedimentation causes negative impacts in corals, especially SPS species. The traditional reef model many of us follow, favors the natural aquarium approach, with miracle mud, sand, refuge, etc. This can lead to unwanted sedimentation, where a bare bottom tank, with reactors and a good algae scrubber, doesn't - as sediment is easily vacuumed from the system.

Jetbobsled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Article and All-Around Information!

In addition to the Zeovit Reactor & Scrubber, do you do any of the following...

1. Protein Skimmer?
2. Carbon (passive or in a reactor)?
3. What do you employ for Phosphate control?

Thank you so much!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back